For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
graphite07's profile

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 10:16 PM

How to remove IOS6

How can I roll back to 5.1? This IOS6 is killing my battery life. My iPhone Uuwed for 2 hours went from 98% down to 85% with IOS 5.1 I never had a huge battery drain like this!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Depending on which phone you have, you can download the .ipsw and restore.  You can probably still do it quickly as the 5.1.1 firmware might still be signed digitally.

So google search for iphone 4s 5.1.1 gsm for example.  Download the ipsw.

In itunes after you back everything up to icloud or your local machine, hit alt and the restore button.  It should pop up a dialog to select your firmware.  Choose the ipsw that you selected previously.

When done, you'll have 5.1.1.  It will ask you if you want to restore from a previousy iphone backup.  Select your backup. Done.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

EDIT:  I'm rechecking.  The blog I posted was for a slight different issue.

For your device (Which does seem to be draining overly fast), have you done a restore of the IOS 6 and set up as a new phone WITHOUT using a backup??

If you have then disreguard the following.:  

If not I would suggest that first (fresh install, set up as new without a backup).  Then before you load any applications on the device, test the battery life.  If it's still draining bad then there isn't much we can help.  But if its not draining it might have beena  bad install of the iOS or a faulty application that was installed not releasing resources and draining the battery.  Then you can install the applications one at a time testing a while between each.  If you find a bad one then you'll know.  If you get everything installed back and it's working I'd suggest it was the backup.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yea so far all the sites I've checked state that currenlty there isno way to downgrade the iPhone 4S and new iPad.  The exploit was closed as of the first iOS 6 beta1.

There is some hope for a new jailbreak.  They have a tethered now but are still working to get an upthered working.  Maybe after that happens people will be able to revert.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Planet-Ed wrote:

Yea so far all the sites I've checked state that currenlty there isno way to downgrade the iPhone 4S and new iPad.  The exploit was closed as of the first iOS 6 beta1.

There is some hope for a new jailbreak.  They have a tethered now but are still working to get an upthered working.  Maybe after that happens people will be able to revert.

Apple has never given a vendor authorized method of going back to a previous version of the IOS. The only method is to circumnavigate the built in locks and restrictions that Apple has in place

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

So I can not roll back?

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

There is no way to roll back through Apple or iTunes. As stated, you'll basically have to hack the phone to do it. It's been that way for a long time, forever maybe.

Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

12 years ago

Sucks!! Well I'm move to a Samsung galaxy s3. This is no good battery life dies real quick. Apple should give you the option to roll back to a previous IOS WHEN THE UPDATE has bugs and problems.

Professor

• 

2K Messages

12 years ago

Just my 2 cents: it doesn't seem that iOS 6 is the problem. There's more likely an app or something else doing on with the phone that would cause that level of drain while the it's being unused. If it were true there'd be a whole lot more people having that issue.

My friend who has not yet received her iPhone 5 but went ahead and updated to iOS 6 on her iPhone 4 reports actually better battery life right out the gate. And my iPhone 5 with iOS 6 pre installed has noticeably better battery life than I had with my 4.

I woke up this morning and unplugged my phone at 6:30. I used it for at least a 1/2 hour, surfing, checking emails and such. It's been on ever since. At 10:35 (4 hours later) my battery reading is at 92%.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

What sort of apps are you utilizing? Some apps are data intensive and can have an impact on the battery. Make sure those apps are not running in the background after you have finished using them.

If the issue still persists after that, try restoring your iPhone via iTunes. I recommend backing up your data since restoring the phone will reinstall a fresh copy of iOS 6.

~ Evandela ~

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

I agree that IOS6 is likely not the problem, but probably an app. Maybe something that hasn't been updated for the new OS. Just an example, my phone has been off the charger for more than 24 hours and my battery is at 83% as I type this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.