How to connect Apple Watch with Cellular AT&T
Number Sync. What is it?
Number Sync allows you to leave your phone behind and use your Apple Watch to talk, text, and make calls. Setting this up is very simple! We have provided some steps below. Set it up and enjoy!.
- An Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular.
- A compatible iPhone® (6 or later including SE) running iOS version 11.0 or higher.
- An AT&T rate plan for your Apple Watch (Cellular).
- iPhone and Apple Watch (Cellular) must be on the same AT&T postpaid Billing Account.
- An AT&T Access ID associated with the iPhone.
The Apple Watch has an AT&T telephone number and associated rate plan and will appear on your monthly bill. Note, the watch telephone number cannot be used for voice, data or text messaging from the watch. Please remember to complete NumberSync set-up to use your watch on the AT&T cellular network with your iPhone number. With NumberSync active, calls and messages using your watch will display your AT&T iPhone telephone number.
To sync up your Apple Watch:
- Pair your watch via the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Open the Watch app to start the pairing process and follow the prompts.
- Select Set up Cellular button.
- Enter your AT&T Access ID and Password. This should be the Access ID that is associated with your iPhone number. For assistance with your Access ID, visit Manage the wireless number for your AT&T Access ID
- When you place a 911 call using your watch, the call will go over the cellular network when possible. If no cellular network is available, device location data from nearby Wi-Fi networks will be used to help locate you. If that data isn’t available, the address you provide will be used.
- Make sure to check the box and read the Important Information for NumberSync on the 911 screen.
- Select Verify Address.
- On Sync requested screen, you should see a message indicating NumberSync should be available shortly. Select Ok.
- Follow prompts to finish setting up your watch.
The Apple Watch is only able to sync to one phone at a time. If you wish to user your Apple Watch on another phone, refer to: Use Number-Sync to sync Apple Watch series 3 to a different iPhone.
- Select the Watch app.
- Under My watch, press the picture of the Apple Watch (Cellular) that you want to unsync.
- Select the information icon.
- Select Unpair Apple watch.
- Select Keep Plan.
- Follow screen prompts.
If you wish to remove NumberSync completely off your Apple Watch:
To remove NumberSync service from your Apple Watch, follow the steps:
- Log in to myAT&T.
- Expand the Wireless view, and select the picture of the iPhone number that you want to remove NumberSync service from.
- Under device options, click, Manage NumberSync.
- In the Synced wearables section, select the Apple Watch (Cellular) that you want to unsync. The name of the watch and the phone number are included for your convenience.
- To remove NumberSync from the Apple Watch, press Unsync this device next to the watch you want to unsync.
- A popup will appear asking if you’re sure that you want to remove the service.
- When successfully removed, you’ll see a screen stating You’ve successfully removed your device.
Need more Help? Visit our support site!
Note: Removing NumberSync service will remove the ability for the Apple Watch to use Cellular service. However, the watch will stay on your plan, and any monthly reoccurring charges will continue. To cancel your rate please reach out to us.
David, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.