The new iPhone 15
J

• 

6 Messages

Monday, July 13th, 2020 12:49 PM

Horrible horrible service, horrible customer service, no resolution to problem and AT&T won't let me out of contract.

I bought an iPhone 8 on June 9 for my daughter. She was on lock down due to COVID-19 and used the phone solely through wifi. When my daughter went back to work, and to life, (a 50 mile radius) she found that data services never work, phone calls fail or get dropped all the time, text messages don't send. Also, the phone goes from 100% to 5% within 1 to 2 hours. I immediately called AT&T to which the told me that their tests say the phone is working. It is not. They blamed it on Apple and Apple ran tests saying that there is not a hardware issue. Apple did not find a problem although they never physically had the phone (COVID limiting access). AT&T exhausted all they could do with testing and told me there was nothing more they could do, and said their systems say the phone is fine. Again, it is not. I argued that even though I signed a contract that gives me 14 days til I'm locked in, this was unrealistic during the current pandemic. When I asked to speak to a supervisor they used the excuse that COVID-19 means AT&T workers work from home and is effecting their ability to put me in contact with someone higher up. AT&T can use it as a defense, but I cannot. Loyalty department isn't willing to budge at all. When you enter into a contract, both parties have obligations in the contract. I have upheld mine but AT&T has not. This is UNACCEPTABLE.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

4 years ago

There haven’t been contracts for 4 years. I’m guessing your paying monthly installments for the phone for 30 months. You can certainly pay off the phone or sell it and go to any provider you chose without penalty 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

First off, you need to determine if her issue is the phone or the service. Move the SIM card to a different phone. If the data and call problems persist, it’s the service. If not, it’s the phone. If there is an issue with the phone, it is highly unlikely remote tests found anything. The phone is under warranty, you need to contact Apple for any warranty issue. As noted, you are not on a contract. Your only obligation is to pay off the phone. You can leave ATT at anytime, no penalty.

• 

6 Messages

As I mentioned, we have been through all of AT&Ts troubleshooting and they say there’s nothing more that can be done. Maybe I have used the wrong terminology as far as contract although that is the terminology they use. There was going to be early termination fees and I have to purchase the phone. COVID prevented us from being able to adequately trial phone and service in the 14 days. Which is out of my control. Then I’m told to understand how covid effects their service. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

What do you mean by “all of AT&Ts troubleshooting”? Have you tried the sim in a different phone or a different sim in that phone? Is this your only ATT line or do you have others? If you have other lines, do they have the same problem? If you just came here to complain, fine, but if you want help, we’re trying to help you.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I have put over 12 hours of hold time in this. There’s no place I can go to swap SIM cards Because of pandemic. . I only have one phone. I’m being expected to understand how pandemic effects their service but not given the same consideration. The pandemic made it impossible for us to handle in the 14 day trial period. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

4 years ago

If the battery on the phone is going from 100% to 5% in 2 hours, there is something wrong with the phone.  I don’t think AT&T is beaming battery destroying signals to your daughter’s phone.

• 

6 Messages

Who exactly suggested that? My problem is brand new phone and brand new service, both of which don’t work for $100 a month. AT&Ts stand is that there’s no more they can do and I need to pay for worthless service and equipment. And no attempt from AT&T to take responsibility. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

Again, need to determine if the problem is the service or the phone. That is not something you can do by calling. You may just live in an area where ATT is not the right carrier for you. If that is the case, ATT is not going to “take responsibility”. However, the battery issue you describe strongly suggests you have a faulty phone and again, only Apple does warranty support. ATT is not allowed to provide warranty for iPhones. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

They sold me the phone. They can take it back if it’s useless to me

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

We can keep going in circles, but everything you've been told is correct. You are not under contract if you are being told you have to pay off the phone.

There is either one or the other not both.

If you look at the bill, the bill will show the balance of installment due on the iPhone. Right under the balance on the iPhone is blue letters that say "manage your installment"

Click on that and follow prompts to pay off the phone. 

Then make an unlock request.

Once the phone is unlocked you can take the phone and Port the number to any carrier. The iPhone 8 is a universal phone.

If the phone is defective that is entirely between you and Apple. Apple does not allow AT&T to do warranty Replacements on phones. The warranty begins on day 14 and continues until one year from the purchase date.   

Covid-19 shutdown is no excuse for not testing the phone under cellular conditions before the 14-day expiration of your return period.  All she had to do is turn off wifi.  

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Do you people own stock in AT&T. Quarantine is no excuse?  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

I do not.  🙄  I can read, and use common sense and logic.  I know that no carrier guarantees service and its 100% on us customers to select a carrier that works. 

Quarantine is not an excuse to not test cellular service by turning off wifi. It also would not have prevented your daughter from getting in the car driving to where she works turning around and driving home again without ever leaving her car, just to test if the phone and service worked. 

Quarantine won't prevent paying off the phone online, unlocking online, and ordering a Sim card from a different carrier online. 

It also doesn't prevent you from complaining online, or getting answers to how to solve your problem online. Unfortunately all the good advice in the world is wasted if you don't take it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.