Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
tlaney321's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2024 8:06 PM

Having trouble unlocking a phone that was last connected to ATT 3 or more years ago (SIM Not Supported)

I am hoping that an ATT rep can help me. I have an iPhone7 that was purchased along through my ATT account /service. We relocated to an area where ATT coverage was too spotty for us and were forced to move to another carrier. I chose not to use that phone with the new carrier and it has been in a drawer for a few years. My mother is in need of a phone and I would like to use that iPhone7. The phone is locked (SIM Not Supported) and I am unable to activate a new SIM card from a low cost carrier. I've tried the online unlock request - It was rejected. I called support and they said that the phone is not blacklisted. They said that it is locked because I did not unlock it within 60 days of leaving the service (I left service 3+ years ago), and would not unlock it.  It was purchased, paid for, never reported lost or stolen, and I left my ATT account in good standing. How do I get this phone unlocked?

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

5 months ago

The online unlocking portal is the way to get phones unlocked.  If you tried the unlocking portal, what was the reason for the denial?  They usually provide a reason.  Whoever told you that the phone had to be unlocked within 60 days of cancelling service is just blowing smoke to get you off the phone.  That is not a reason for rejection.  The unlocking eligibility requirement are of the right side of this page.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Most likely, since it’s an old iPhone 7, and hasn’t been used for 3 years, the IMEI got purged and is no longer in the unlocking database, so the portal won’t work.  The way around that is to have AT&T manually research the IMEI for unlocking.  If you’re having trouble getting them to do that for you or getting the runaround, file a BBB or FCC complaint to get it escalated to upper management.

2 Messages

5 months ago

The latest explanation (after 2 more calls today) is that they have no record of the phone being used on the network - In fact, they have no record of me or my line/number on the AT&T service whatsoever. That is completely wrong as I had my entire family on the AT&T Service for 4 years. The rep was able to see the other lines for my wife and kids, but mine was mysteriously not there. I've had the same number for 15 years, and certainly had service. In fact - My line was the main line used in the account as I carried the company discount. The phone had texts and calls on it prior to erase, and I think I would realize if they were not delivering service if I didn't get calls or texts for 4 years.

So, there is a ticket to investigate why my number and the associated phone is missing from their database - Despite that fact that it was the main line for that account. I have little faith that the ticket will suddenly make my history reappear.

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

5 months ago

I wouldn’t hold my breath for waiting for them to work through the “ticket” and contact you.  If you don’t hear back in a few days, file a BBB or FCC complaint.  You don’t need to file both.  Both go to the same place at AT&T and you’ll get contacted by someone from the Office of the President.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.