The new iPhone 15
Chazfort19's profile

1 Message

Saturday, October 28th, 2023 7:25 AM

Haven't been able to unlock an old phone

I have been trying to unlock an old phone for the past week. Tried multiple times online, all I get back is "we are missing some info and cannot unlock your phone now" doesn't tell me what issue it is. Spent 45 min on the phone with customer service the other day only for them to tell me that it will take 24 hours to do nd ultimately end up getting an email saying that I was denied because I didn't click on the confirmation link (was never told I had to, or was sent a confirmation link!) 

Called customer service again, was put on hold and then they hang up...

Called customer service again for a 3rd time and after being on hold for 20 min while the rep was "working on the issue" was hung up on again!

Absolutely ridiculously for a company of this size to handle things this way, the kicker here is that while on hold for the 3rd time I receive an email saying that I cannot unlock my phone anymore because I have tried too many times and it will now take 30 days before I can try again!!!! 

What? This is beyond frustrating and I don't know what else to do at this point.  

ACE - Sage

• 

115.9K Messages

4 months ago

Just a save both of us some time and trouble what phone are you trying to unlock?   There are some phones that cannot be unlocked, if we're talking something in excess of 10 years old, that may be the case. 2G and 3G phones, original three generations of iPhone, the Amazon fire phone, and a couple of other phones that are not supported by the manufacturer because the phone only existed for 2 years and then the manufacturer folded (Razer 2 gaming phone for example)

If none of that describes what you have:

Assuming this phone is no longer in use are you applying for unlocking as a non-customer. (Fill in the "no" bubble)  It confuses the computer if you apply as an existing customer but do not include the information that matches the phone you are currently using.   

And because you've already been rejected, just file a FCC complaint online. FCC complaints are forwarded to AT&T upper management and someone will contact you. They will have to manually research the phone by its IMEI to verify it is eligible for unlocking. Depending on the phone they may be able to unlock it while you are still on the phone. Worst case scenario it might take a week.  Watch your emails

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.