The new iPhone 15
Bayview01's profile

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 2nd, 2023 9:20 PM

eSIM

My phone says “SIM lock” under carrier lock”. I am trying to add an eSIM to my phone because I am currently out of the country but my phone will not let me add an eSIM I tried under “Cellular” then “add eSIM” but admired I type in the activation code it says “unsupported eSIM

This eSIM is from a carrier that is not currently supported on this iPhone. To use this SIM, contact your carrier and request to unlock this iPhone.“

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

11 months ago

Your phone is locked.  You need to get it unlocked to be able to use any non-AT&T (or AT&T MVNO) SIM.

To unlock, use this link. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Note that the phone must meet eligibility requirements to be able to be unlocked.  Also, if you’re trying to access the site from outside of the US, you may need to use a U.S. based VPN to avoid network errors.

3 Messages

7 months ago

So I just don't get why ATT locks the second SIM.  I am not looking to leave ATT, the primary eSIM will always be ATT, I just need the 2nd for data when traveling.  

Why do they do this?

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

7 months ago

There is no way to unlock just one SIM slot and not the other on a phone.  Either both SIM slots are locked to AT&T, or neither are locked.  BTW, it’s Apple who set up the phone this way, as well as who does the actual unlocking.  As for why, the reason is obvious.  If you have the second SIM slot unlocked, you can ditch AT&T and go to another carrier, because you now have a phone that works with whatever other carrier you want to use.  Not everyone is trustworthy enough to hold to “I’ll just use the other SIM slot occasionally for travel and not leave AT&T.  I promise.”

3 Messages

7 months ago

I hear what you are saying and a better implementation would have been to lock the eSIM slots separately.  Whats annoying is I travel a lot on business and always used ATT for voice when traveling but GigaSky for data.  I did that on my old iPhone with AT&T on day 1 of ownership, that phone had a physical SIM and eSIM.  Now with this new phone I can't.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 months ago

AT&T phones are either locked, or unlocked. Whether they are dual SIM or single sim it's all or nothing. AT&T does not temporarily unlock SIM slots.  They also do not unlock one SIM while leaving the other one locked to AT&T

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

7 months ago

Not sure what old phone you had early on that would allow one slot to be locked and the other unlocked,  but ever since the first dual SIM iPhones came out (2018 iPhone XS), both slots were either locked or both unlocked.  Nothing to do with whether it was 1 physical and 1 eSIM, or both only eSIM.

3 Messages

7 months ago

iPhone 12.  I don't know about 1 being locked and one not being locked, but on day 1 when I bought it I was able to add my GigaSky data eSIM, while it was still using the physical AT&T SIM.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.