Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Nov 23, 2018 12:44 PM

eSIM

Hello! I have a wireless plan with ATT, can a get an eSIM to replace the Nano SIM? Is it available now?

Thanks 

Responses

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

• 

3.2K Messages

2 years ago

The eSIMs for iPhones are currently only available on the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR. If you have one of those, you already have an eSIM, but AT&T doesn't support it yet. Hopefully it will before the end of the year.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dwill05

Master

• 

3.8K Messages

2 years ago

To clarify, AT&T doesn’t currently support eSIMs on the newest iPhones due to reported issues.  Until they do, you are stuck just using the normal nanoSIM.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Yes it is. I'm using an unlocked iPhone Xs on At&t prepaid plans. Unlimited prepaid plan on the eSIM (business line), and the 8gb plan on the nano SIM (personal line). I called the At&t prepaid customer service number, they said eSIM activation for prepaid plans are not supported yet, but when I went to a corporate At&t store, the sales rep (I think she was the manager) was able to activate my eSIM as the primary line and use the physical nano SIM as the secondary line. She was great. She was very knowledgeable, and showed me great customer service. It did take about 45 minutes, but this a new service, and I'm sure it's still a learning process.

QuarryRye

ACE - Master

• 

3.2K Messages

2 years ago

She may have been able to get it to work, but she basically hacked the system. AT&T's policy is that eSIMs are not supported for prepaid so not only should other people not expect this to be done in other stores, but you might have issues down the line when it's caught by the system.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.3K Messages

2 years ago

@QuarryRye

@VanilladroidiOS

In the long run, the eSim should be the prepaid or travel sim.  As the world adjusts to the new technology, the purpose of the eSim is to make it easier to change services on the fly, without going to a store front or waiting for a sim in the mail.  

While right now everyone is moving their primary service to the eSim, expecting to pick up a physical sim as they travel, This is expected to flip in the next few years as all phones switch to eSim.  

Meanwhile it does provide some relief to those who have been carrying 2 phones.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I added an eSIM to my iPhone xs last week.  Took a little time online chatting with an att agent but we got it ordered.  I assumed I could do it all online, but att did have to send me a card with the eSIM QR code printed on it.  Once I had that activation was simple.

Get started...

Ask a new question