Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
xupeiqi0429's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Sep 15, 2018 5:58 PM

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.2K Messages

3 y ago

Below is from 9 to 5 mac

Unfortunately, eSIM adoption seems to be a mixed bag at the moment. While the three major U.S carriers: Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T announced support for the feature, all three have seemingly pulled out, noting that support for eSIM is coming later this year. This means no major carrier in the U.S. is currently supporting this feature. Outside of the U.S., support is limited but you can check here to see if your carrier support the feature.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/30/enable-esim-and-dual-sim-iphone-xs-xr/

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 y ago

I have it activated. But(!) For me data is not working. Phone and text works.

Will try to figure it out.

Activation was the same as for other sim cards.

So... Better go to a corporate AT&T store if you really want it 👍🏻

EDIT:

I figured out what happened. I assume the chat(!) agent changed my plan to Nation 450 w/ Rollover instead of my Mobile Share Flex 5GB plan that I share with my wife.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

I got an iPhone XR with Dual SIM. I would like to have my AT&T number on the eSIM card and be able to use the slot for the physical SIM for other carriers when I travel overseas. Apple gave me a QR card for eSIM activation with AT&T, but when called AT&T, they said they are not able to do it now. any thoughts on an alternative activation process?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

88.2K Messages

3 y ago

No.  And the other issue is the phone still has to be unlocked from ATT to be used with another carrier.  

Still in a holding pattern 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

I purchased the phone from Apple and paid for it in full. It is my understanding that it is unlocked unless I am missing something
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

88.2K Messages

3 y ago

How would it be possible to change you to a plan that no longer exists?   I would believe a screw up could change to a current plan, not an old one.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.2K Messages

3 y ago

Apple has a software issues with dual SIM.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

thank you at&t for obfuscating over the esim for iphone. i promise that if verizon implements it first i will switch in a heartbeat.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

Not true. Lots of people are using their new iPhone X with eSIMs. Just read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-active-on-at-t.2147268/.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 y ago

Happened after the chat agent was"working" on my account...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

After 3 hours on the phone with 2nd tier support from At&t I was informed that will not be able to support duel sim technology on their network

Only 1 sim at a time so both lines will never work at the same time 

you would have to switch and choose 1 line at a time like switching the SIM card out

☹️

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

3 y ago

Thread on Macromors concerning ATT eSIM support. 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-active-on-at-t.2147268/

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

That other wireless providers in the world were able to turn on esim with no issues but the biggest providers in the world are unable to do so yet?  Seriously? 

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 y ago

There are 12 carriers around the world that currently support Apple's eSIM on phones. I said twelve. Out of the 60+ phone companies on the entire planet. That should tell you eSIM support is hardly as simple as flipping a switch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

Not saying it's easy but other carriers did it on time. Why not the big 3?  And esim has been around for awhile so it's not like it's totally new.

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.