Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
xupeiqi0429's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Sep 15, 2018 5:58 PM

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Responses

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 y ago

I would like to have my iPhone XS Max eSIM activated on my AT&T plan so that the physical slot is open.  I went all the way to a "manager" via 611 and got nowhere.  Anybody have any suggestions or advice?

TROLLEDYOUSO

Guru

• 

561 Messages

3 y ago

According to Apple, eSIM support is coming to US carriers "later this year."

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 y ago

Apple released eSIM support officially today via OS 12.1  -  Unfortunately, the AT&T personnel I talked to are not yet up to speed.  It is comical that Verizon is getting slammed for not being ready and AT&T is supposedly ready.  Not my experience...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 y ago

I want to do the same thing. Hopefully they get their act together soon.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

3 y ago

I believe Apple had announced that iOS 12.1 was releasing today. We're basically half a day since it went live. Waiting on you now AT&T. Would very much like to convert my line to using the eSIM so I can use my work line's SIM and stop carrying 2 devices.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I chatted with a support tech on AT&T website today after upgrading to ios 12.1 and was told that 2 days max they will be pushing out instructions on how to switch to the esim from the nano sim.

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

3 y ago

Don’t forget that to use 2 dirrerent carriers your phone has to be unlocked. Personal and work phone on ATT will not be a problem. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 y ago

same here. and there are people out that got it working with AT&T...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-active-on-at-t.2147268/page-8

AT&T had enough time to get the infrastructure ready for it. Why would carriers in other countries manage this? German "Deutsche Telekom" and Vodafone have it up and running. The more time it takes the worse...

I changed to AT&T and an iphone XS to get it working asap...

Hope there will be good esim support soon.

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

3 y ago

If you want to use different carriers you will need to have your phone unlocked. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 y ago

I use an unlocked iphone XS so I should be good...

Some people get AT&T eSim activated some not. lets try not to end up at 5% of our customers can activate it. Would prefer all.

Ii am postpaid, unlocked iphone xs and running iOS 12.1

so everything should be good...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 y ago

Please let us know how it goes...  Without a QR code or the information you need to manually activate the eSIM it wont matter if you are postpaid or unlocked, you wont be able to activate the eSIM.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 y ago

right now the another chat representative told me the physical sim will be deactivated and the problem was already reported to Apple - there will be a fix. I am curious if this is true for me. I need a second sim later this year but let's see how this goes. As I stated I a fine that the physical sim slot would not work the representative works on the activation.

Keep you updated.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 y ago

dennispl,

So an AT&T rep activated your phone on the eSIM?  But the physical SIM is not working?

Did you do this over the telephone?  In a store?

You are using your phone now on an AT&T network using the eSIM while you are waiting for the fix for your physical SIM to work?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

3 y ago

still waiting for the activation. kind of updating in real time. but the rep told me it should be working.

using currently the chat.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

3 y ago

An AT&T support agent just told me that the iOS 12.1 eSIM feature is broken and that is why I can't convert my line to eSIM. Chat transcript:

Agent: XXXXX, I have checked my resource and see that, Apple launched esim feature for 12.1 iOS version.

Agent: However, Apple still facing some issue with the feature.

Agent: They are working on resolving this issue.

Agent: Once the issue is resolved, we will notify you through email regarding the Esim feature available.

Customer: So you’re saying iOS 12.1 is broken and the esim feature doesn’t work?

Agent: The iOS 12.1 has the Esim feature. But Dual SIM/Dual Standby(DSDS) with eSIM on on iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR can cause poor experiences on visual voicemail or plans

Agent: We will continue to work with Apple on a software update that will correct these issues at earliest.

Customer: If you say so

Agent: We will definitely notify our valued client once the feature works fine 🙂

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.