For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
xupeiqi0429's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, September 15th, 2018 5:58 PM

Closed

eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I have an AT&T nano-SIM card and another nano-SIM card with Chinese carrier. I learned that the unlocked iphone Xs MAX can have a nano-SIM and an eSIM working together. But the Chinese carrier didn't support eSIM. So I want to transform my AT&T nano-SIM card into eSIM so that my two phone number can both work on the iphone. How can I change my AT&T nano-SIM card to eSIM?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I think my SIM card is pre-paid. What should I do under my circumstances? Do I need to buy a new number and activate the esim on the website?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@xupeiqi0429

You do not need a new number, you can move your existing number to postpaid.  

You would have to have a postpaid account Account and service to activate the Esim

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Will the dual sim technology on the IPhone XS allow a domestic sim and an international sim (esim) to be utilized on the same device?

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

The eSIM will not be active out of the box, so until Apple releases the software update that enables eSIM use, you are limited to the physical SIM in the phone.

Regarding AT&T eSIMs, AT&T hasn’t put anything out about how they will deal with the eSIM, or whether they will even offer eSIMs for the new iPhones.  It just speculation at this point.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

6 years ago

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

Those articles say nothing other than how eSIM should should work in theory on the new phones.  The reality is that first Apple has to enable the eSIM at some unknown time in the future, plus AT&T has to put out their policy on eSIMs for the new phone (whether they will allow use of an AT&T eSIM for an AT&T account holder, or just for someone who has a different carrier as primary, locking/unlocking issues, etc.)

How Apple and others think two-SIM phones SHOULD work and how AT&T ALLOWs them to work on phones tied to their network could be two different things.  Right now, it’s very much just wait and see, and too early to answer specific questions about whether one can do specific combinations of SIMs.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@dwill05

I have to agree with you, and add, ‘will all employees and retailers be properly trained in activation of eSim?’  

The first eSim in watches confuzzled a few.  They didn’t know how to activate, or deactivate, for use with another carrier.  

Currently, if you bought an iPad through ATT and they activated the eSim, it’s permanently locked to ATT.  I know, “wait, what?   I thought iPads were NEVER locked?”   Well the removable sim slot is not locked, but the embedded sim is forever locked to ATT.  If you buy an iPad somewhere else and have ATT activate the eSim, it’s not locked and can be used with other carriers. Verizon will not activate the eSim at all.   

So I suspect the  eSim day has not quite come.   Apple is forcing the issue and maybe that’s what it takes 

Mentor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I bought an unlocked iPhone XS Max. I took the sim card out of my old iPhone and put it in the new iPhone and its working just fine. What i would like to do is move activate the eSim with my current account so that when i travel i can pop in various sim cards for the respective country i am in. I went to the ATT store and the guy there had no idea what i was talking about. He even said i have to buy a sim card to put in there. I tried explaining to him that i just want the eSim to be activated with my account so that the nano-sim slot can be free. Has anyone been able to do this? I did some googling and the there is a page where apple mentions the support of ATT and when you click the hyperlink it goes to a 404 page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209096 then click on ATT).

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

Also, AT&T hasn’t announced if, or under what conditions, they would support eSIMs in iPhones.

Mentor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Well don't i feel silly... Thanks!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.