Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Give Mom a virtual hug with our Mother's Day Gift Guide.
caroberk's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jun 23, 2015 2:19 PM

Error Invalid Message - Can't Text My Mom

My mom got a new number. When I text her I get an immediate reponse text saying "Error Invalid Message: Please re-send using a valid 10 digit mobile number or valid short code."

I went online to troubleshoot. I'm on an iPhone 6plus. I cleared my phone of all incoming and outgoing calls/text to the number. Went to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. Once I did that, I started a new text to the number. Still did not work.

Please help!

Caroline

Responses

ATTMobilityCare

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hi there! @caroberk  

Thanks for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear you are having issues with messaging.

I’d recommend restoring to a backup prior to the 15th of April as this was when it started to become an issue.

Connecting an iPhone to a computer via USB could automatically start the backup process which would overwrite any backup created prior to April 15, 2015. If this occurs, cancel the backup process by clicking the 'X' in the upper-middle portion of the iTunes screen.

Check for last backup in iTunes or iCloud

1. If prior to 4/15/15 and acceptable, on iPhone tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All.
  2. Restore device from an iCloud or iTunes backup. (HT204184)

Hope this helps!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

I'm having the same issue with my iPhone 6. Since I purchased the phone after after May 15, my backups are subsequent to that date. I have tried all suggestions including deleting all messages, calls, contacts that contain the affected number. I have backed up, erased all content and restored from iCloud. Still have the same problem. The local AT&T store was no help.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

84.1K Messages

6 y ago

This seems to be an iPhone specific problem. Have you contacted Apple support?

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

Unforunately Apple will just blame AT&T, nether company will take responsibility, but personally I believe it is AT&T since I just switched over from Verizon in June due to save money and never had that problem with them.  I guess you get what you pay for.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

84.1K Messages

6 y ago

The problem is old and may be a combination of Apple and ATT.  

Solutions include:

make sure your phone is not "roaming"

delete all messages in the thread with the affected number, 

delete the contact and renter with area code and phone number.

try a test text....you phone should add a 1 only when needed for long distance.

Try a Google search for other solutions and also private message @ATTMobilityCare

click on the blue letters, then the blue message box at the middle left of screen.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question