AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
The new iPhone 14
KRS1970's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sun, Jan 11, 2015 6:31 PM

email issues with my iPhone 5c

iPhone peeps...my email won't download new messages. It acts like it is searching for them (I see the 'checking for mail' at the bottom of the screen), but it doesn't show any new messages. I've tried turning it off (several times) for a bit, but that didn't help. I am almost positive it's the phone because my desktop and iPad both update properly. I did change the password on the desktop, but went in and changed it on the iPhone and iPad and still only the iPad works properly. I've never experienced this before and worked just fine up until about 430 yesterday (01-10-15) afternoon. I have deleted the account and re-entered all the information (including the new password) and it still doesn't work and when I check the settings, it shows the old password, yet I don't get any type of error messages or messages requesting a password.

I'm at my wits end with it... Any other suggestions or ideas? (I do have the latest version of the iOS software, but I updated that several weeks ago...or whenever it came out...and have had no other phone issues, until now!) maybe there's something in settings that I need to check or uncheck??? Thank you!

oh and lastly, I've only had the phone since September 2013 and this is the first issue I have had with it!

Thanks!

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

8 years ago

Try deleting the account and putting it back in. There could be something corrupt in the account.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

8 years ago

Ok! Just picture me in a cape!

If I understand you changed your email password.

What email server do your use? (Yahoo, gmail, iCloud or other )

Are you using the stock app ?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding...all of a sudden the email decided to work again. However, last night it decided to not download again. It's my yahoo email that seems to be having issues. Not only will it not download new messages to the inbox, it won't show messages that were previously downloaded (or moved to other folders...even the junk mail folder won't update). So far, I've deleted the account and re-installed it, to no avail. Then I turned off the phone for about an hour, which didn't work either. It's really frustrating...when this previously happened I called ATT and tried all sorts of stuff, including backup and restore (I will NOT do that again...it took way too long to get my backup to put everything back on the phone!)

This is through the app that came with the phone. I don't really like the yahoo mail app.

Is the Apple Store my only option???

Thank you for your time and assistance!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

8 years ago

@KRS1970

There is a possibility I didn't consider with a stock app, but do with a downloaded app.....
Try deleting the app, then download again. Sometimes the updates to an App create a "Frankenstein " that doesn't work well.
Downloading a complete, working app may resolve the glitches.

Another question...if you set the phone to update email infrequently, over wifi only, is the phone connecting well to your wifi? How is your data usage?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the quick reply! The app I'm having issues with is the one that was already on the phone...not the downloadable one from the App Store. I have it set to manually download and it connects to my home wifi easily and with no issues (the safari app works when surfing the web, with no issues) and I share the 10GB with my mother, but she uses very little of the data, so I have not had any issues with that.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

8 years ago

I was wondering if the mail wasn't loading due to a lack of connection to home wifi, if such a restriction was set on the phone.
yahoo mail is often a problem, but not this kind of problem.

So I have to wonder if it's a sync problem. I have had problems syncing to Android phones, but never iPhone.

Just for comparison, try the yahoo app and see if it loads on the yahoo app when it won't on the stock app??
I will do a little research and get back to you.
May I suggest you also post on the Apple forums. I'm sure this is a device related problem.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

8 years ago

You can also try MyMail free or CloudMagic email.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

I have downloaded the app and it works just fine! I should also note that I am NOT having the issue with my iPad...just the iPhone.

I appreciate all your assistance and I will post to Apple forum as well.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.1K Messages

8 years ago

Good.
I'm glad something works. I haven't found any reason for the stock app to have these glitches.
My gut says only a full reset and restore will fix a software problem like this.

I hope you get a better suggestion.
Sorry I couldn't find a magic pill. If I come upon something I will check back.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.