Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
walkerjlc

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Tue, Sep 9, 2014 8:56 PM

Early Upgrade iPhone 6

I am trying to find out more infromation concerning the early upgrade eligiblity for the iPhone 6.  I have 2 options I think?  1. upgrading using the AT&T Next plan where I can have $37 added to my monthly bill for 12 months ($24 for 24 months) or 2. I am eligible for an early upgrade on 9/21/14 for $449.  If I wait for the 9/21/14 date I would not be able to do the early preorder on 9/12/14.  Does anyone know if AT&T will change these dates for the customers that got upgraded on the release date for last years Iphone 5s?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ms_unicorn

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

6 years ago

Hey!

Thanks for posting. If you have any questions about upgrading to the new iPhone 6, be sure to check out the link below.

iPhone Support for AT&T

Let me know if that helps!

-Mariana

cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

Check your upgrade eligibility, not contract date.  Many contracts with a September expiration were eligible for upgrade starting September 1.

walkerjlc

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

I did check my eligibility on AT&T, Apple, and Best Buy and they all are saying the same thing.  I can do the next or I can wait till the 21st to get the cheaper upgrade price for the iPhone 6. 

chefjesseq

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have the same issues, i have been able to each year and this year is the first time i cant, i hope they fix this i contacted costumer support and they cant help. 

walkerjlc

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

If you find anything out please let me know.

Jeff W[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

chefjesseq

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Ok sounds good
cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

Considering timing and price, isn't Next 12 a better deal than the Early Upgrade price?

walkerjlc

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

Not really.  Last year I was outside my local Best Buy and waited in line to get the iPhone 5s.  I was given $325 (on a Best Buy card) for my iPhone 5 and used that $ towards the $400 that it cost me with my early upgrade eligibilty for the iPhone 5s.  I only had to pay a little over $80 for the phone and they charged me $30 to activate it but that charge was on my next months bill.  I would rather pay $110 total that $749 for the phone over 20 months or 24 months.  Also if you do the AT&T Next program you do get to upgrade in a year, but you still owe on the iphone 6 for eight more months when it comes time for the iPhone 6s to be released.  If I understand the AT&T Next program correctly. 

chefjesseq

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

well if you look at its a average of 30$ for 12 months depending on which model you choose, and then you dont get to keep the phone so your basically renting it. i looked at both, i usually sell my iphone and then buy a new one. cheaper way. 

walkerjlc

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

The way I understood it is you do the AT&T Next program you have the option of doing the 12 or 18 month upgrade.  The 12 month one you are making payments on it for 20 months at $749 total, and the 18 month upgrade eligibility you pay on it for 24 months for a $749 total.  Is that not correct? I would rather do a 2 year contract at $110 out of my pocket than spreading it out over 20 or 24 months at $749 out of my pocket.

chefjesseq

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

thats correct

cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

I'm not a Next customer but it seems there is some misunderstanding how it works.

Next 12:  You get an iPhone with no down payment and then make monthly payments on it for the next 12 months.  You then are able to turn in your current phone and get a new phone, again with no down payment.  If you opt for the upgrade, the remaining balance on the old phone is "forgiven" after the trade-in, and a new contract period begins.  If you want to keep your phone after 12 months, you continue to finish paying it off after 20 months.

dwill05

Master

• 

3.9K Messages

6 years ago

My contract ends on 9/14/14, and I'm shown as being eligible for an upgrade with a 2 year contract. I'm pretty sure I became eligible on the 1st of September.
jtrue28

Scholar

• 

249 Messages

6 years ago

I have a feeling there will be MANY people who upgraded to the 5S on release date, and will be ineligible until 9/21. Unless AT&T chooses to move that date to the 12th.
cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 years ago

@jtrue28 wrote:
MANY people who upgraded to the 5S on release date, and will be ineligible until 9/21. Unless AT&T chooses to move that date to the 12th.

I bet that is unlikely, but anything is possible.

Get started...

Ask a new question