Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
rightwingjedi's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Tue, Dec 30, 2014 2:58 PM

Do I throw my new iPhone 6 SIM card away?

I placed my old iPhone 5 SIM into my new iPhone 6, so what do I do with my unused SIM from the iPhone 6

My neighbor told me he would buy it for $5, should I do that or trash it?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

53.2K Messages

7 y ago

@rightwingjedi wrote:

I placed my old iPhone 5 SIM into my new iPhone 6, so what do I do with my unused SIM from the iPhone 6

You apparently did not follow the activation instructions for your new phone because if you had, the new SIM would be active and your old SIM would be inactive. To be honest, I don't know what happens if you don't activate the new SIM but you probably do not want to sell it. It is already setup with your phone # and if activated will cause your old SIM to de-activate. Though it is possible to reprogram that SIM to a different number, that can only be done by ATT.

My advice would be to put the new SIM back into the iPhone 6 and activate it. You will still need that old SIM to unlock your iPhone 5, if not already done.

MR_SMiT

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

7 y ago

@rightwingjedi wrote:

Is your new Iphone 6 working okay? You should keep used nano sim card. But I hear "conflicting" information regarding sim cards, if they are same sizes for old and new phones, they can be switched out. When I got my new iPhone 6, in the box there was noticed about putting sim card from old iphone 5 to new phone. But I did not have sim ejector tool, had to activate new iPhone, following the procedure.Smiley Tongue

iFrosty

Guru

• 

831 Messages

7 y ago

Personally i would not sell it because there may be ties to your account. If you trash it (at your own discretion) cut it up first.

Personally SIM cards are not the same as they used to be (storage of phone numbers was a prime reason to keep them YEARS ago). If your old SIM card works, thats great! No need for the other. 

And lets say for some odd reason it starts to act up:
You can walk into an ATT corporate store and get a new one for free.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.