For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
mophat's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, March 23rd, 2018 1:59 PM

device on an active account

i recently bought an iphone on ebay but when i requested for unlock ..it turned out to be still active on someones account... how do i remove it from that accout and unlock the device

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You don’t. Only the account owner can remove it from their account. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

i have no contact with the owner is there another way

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have submitted a unlock request for a iPhone I had with att before my upgrade and it’s been over the 2 business days they say it takes and it’s still not unlocked and still telling me to wait two business days. Has anybody else had this problem?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

What do I do if I haven’t gotten email to confirm to unlock a device? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I been having this problem to. Except did you get a email to confirm to unlock your device? I haven’t gotten that email yet. 

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

6 years ago

Yes on 2nd request and no email. They don’t want you going anywhere else apparently. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

You don't need the original owner to do anything if it says "still active on account". As long as the phone you're trying to unlock is fully paid off and in good standing then there is a work around to getting it unlocked using the online AT&T device unlock portal. 

1) If you or someone you know has an active AT&T account and sim, in good standing (no past due balance on their monthly bill) you have to put their SIM card in the phone your trying to unlock and use the phone for a little while. Turn off WIFI from the phone and use the phones AT&T LTE network to browse youtube, stream some short videos, text your own number, send a photo to your own number.... you're basically waiting for the IMEI you're trying to unlock to activate onto the sim you just put in. 

2) After a short while of using the phone, the phones IMEI number (the one your trying to unlock) will register onto the AT&T SIM card you just put in and clear it from the old users account and activate onto the Sim account you just put in the phone. 

3) Now you can take the SIM card out and put back into the phone is was originally in and repeat the process of browsing online using the AT&T LTE network (turn WIFI off on the phone) so the SIM card activates the original phones IMEI number. 

4) Now the phone you're trying to unlock is cleared from any account and you can run the unlock again through the AT&T device unlock portal online. If it still does not work and says it is still active on an account, try back in 24-48 hours and send the request again, you won't have to do the above steps anymore. 

Hopefully I explained that good enough. 

Here is one thing to note: If you put an active AT&T SIM card that has a past due balance on the account into the the phone you want to unlock, the online AT&T device unlock portal will not work. It will also give you "active on account" error until you pay the phone bill for that month. Once you pay the phone bills past due balance you can run the unlock again and it should work. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

have you checked your junk email?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I got it unlocked!!!! Thank you for all the responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Everytime I try to submit an unlock request it tells me I need to pay off my installment. I have already paid the full installment off and even called AT&T and they told me their system shows it was paid off but wont give me an answer why my unlock request wont go thru. Can someone please help??

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.