The new iPhone 15
S

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 4th, 2022 8:24 PM

Denied phone unlock for 60 days

I am in a situation where I need my phone unlocked and I am being denied by AT&T even though I have paid it off. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

You have to fulfill the unlocking requirements before AT&T will unlock the phone. Link below has the requirements. 

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1262649

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

One suggestion is to purchase an inexpensive prepaid phone to use until you can unlock the AT&T phone. 

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

2 years ago

For what reason is it being denied? Have you just recently paid it off? If so, it may take a billing cycle until the  system knows that the phone is paid off.

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

So here’s the situation. My brother works in the cell phone industry and was able to give me a promotional code with T-Mobile but I had to use it by January 4th. I have no problem with AT&T it’s just I can get a better deal with this promotional code so I paid off my phone so I could have it unlocked and use it on T-Mobile. They told me there’s a policy in place you have to wait 60 days when you get a phone from them before they will unlock it and said I would not be able to unlock it until January 25th. This is frustrating because I already went to T-Mobile right after I paid off the phone at AT&T and signed up with them. 

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Yeah I think I’m just stuck in limbo between AT&T and T-Mobile until 1/25/22 when my 60 days are up because I fall under this part of the unlocking requirements:

”Paid off early: The wireless number assigned to the device must be active for at least 60 days.”

I’m just frustrated because on Saturday when I paid off the phone I was not told I was going to have to wait to have it unlocked. Also, when I called customer service they transferred me to tech support who said they were trying to have a manager override the system and unlock my phone. The manager could not override the system and said they were generating a case to have the “back end” tech support override it and that they would contact me within 24 to 48 hours. So I was left thinking  that back end tech support would override it and let me know they had it all resolved within 24-48 hours. 
I did not here from them and reached out to customer service today who transferred me to tech support and then a manager.  The managerthen informed I had to wait until January 25th before I could then submit for it to be unlocked. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunately, it is part of AT&T’s unlocking requirements that you have to have a minimum of 60 days of active service before a phone is eligible for unlocking.  They recently changed it so that the 60 days doesn’t apply if you paid the full price up front when you bought it, but since you said you “paid it off”, I assume that means it was bought on an installment plan, and therefore you have to wait the 60 days.

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I have a situation a little different here. I've been a AT&T customer for +10 years. I had 2 devices paid off months ago (12 promax and 11 promax). Got new devices for me and my wife (14 promax and 13 promax). As the screen for old devices were cracked, I replaced both of them with my insurance from ATT. Received 2 new devices (12 and 11) and requested to unlock them. Denied by ATT. Reason given by the manager on tech support chat "both devices must be active for 60 days before you can submit a request to unlock". Which is different from "Paid off early: The wireless number assigned to the device must be active for at least 60 days. Wait 48 hours after you make your final payment to submit your unlock request. Learn how pay off your installment plan."

Both wireless number are still active (for 10 years) and both devices are paid off. Any idea of what is happening here? I'm so frustrated that I'm planning to move all my 4 accounts (+10 years) to Verizon just because of the disregard AT&T had with a +10 year customer. It's all I can do.

ACE - Master

• 

10.3K Messages

1 year ago

The “wireless number” being active for 60 days is misleading.  What it really means is that the IMEI of the specific phone has to be used on the AT&T network, not that you’ve had the same number of 60 days or longer.  That said, since the phones were insurance replacements, if the original phones met the usage requirement, then replacement phones shouldn’t reset any previously met requirement.  If AT&T doesn’t fix it, recommend filing a FCC complaint to get it bumped up the chain.

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks dwill05. I've just filled a FCC complaint. Also, I've done a BBB review of the company.

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

ATT will not unlock my current phone for 60 days from purchase, however, they unlocked my previous phone after only 3 days.  (Edited per community guidelines)????

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.