The new iPhone 15
dandrea's profile

1 Message

Wednesday, October 25th, 2023 7:52 PM

Deceptive Trade-in practice or fraud going on at warehouse

I traded in an iPhone 12 (great condition) for an iPhone 14 in July. They were running promo that said it was a free upgrade. ATT shipped me return box with the 14. I followed instructions and received confirmation they received my returned package. Saw it could take 2(or so) billing cycles to see credits come in. After 3 months of nothing I called and provided the confirmation # they emailed. Rep looked into situation and told me the record shows even though I told them I was sending in a 12, they only received and iPod! So - no credit was coming. This is absolutely untrue. I definitely shipped back my almost pristine iPhone 12. Obviously the person who entered the return either entered it incorrectly, or there's some fraud going on where the people who open the boxes take your returned phone and swap it for some lesser equipment. 

Rep said situation was being escalated, and to expect a call back but didn't know how long. 

Throughout call, I was made to feel as if i was lying and trying to get a free phone out of them. Currently I spend more than $300 per month for service for 3 phones; 2 of which were totally paid off, plus I have been a customer for about 10 years. Not sure what to do- if anything. I'm actually thinking of switching to a new provider. 

Has anyone had this happen to them?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

6 months ago

If you're spending over $300 a month for three phone lines and only one phone installment, you're on the wrong plan. You've got bigger problems than one stolen iPhone If you've been overpaying for service for years.

AT&T's premium unlimited plan for three lines with literally any discount program would be $150, same cost as Extra (70-autopay and paperless billing with debit or checking, -10 with any discount, -10 like AARP which does not care how old you are)

Tutor

• 

33 Messages

6 months ago

Currently having this issue on 4 out of my 5 trade-ins on my account.

10 Messages

2 months ago

Yes happened to me as well. Returned 3 pristine phone around the same time as you. One was converted to an lg flip phone and the other to an iphone 6. I didn't get credit for either of those devices, a total of 1700 credit. The IME for the phones is currently not active per the ATT rep. Clearly fraud is going one either at the us postal service or at their exchange center. Lesson learned. Do no do trade in where you have to mail in your phone.

(edited)

Tutor

• 

33 Messages

2 months ago

Absolutely agree!!!   Did your situation get resolved?   Luckily I have the IMEI’s as well.  Still waiting.  Hopefully next bill it will be corrected.  

maybe we should of kept activation lock on and then after it’s checked in we can release it. lol 

I even kept AppleCare on it in case they said it was damaged.  

so miffed about this. 

10 Messages

2 months ago

They offered a 250 credit but that is nothing compared to the 1700 I was suppose to get for two phones, 850 each. They told me to file a claim with post office. The post office says tracking shows it was delivered so nothing they can do. The exchange center website shows it was received. I did notice it was pending for a long time on the exchange center website after it was received. They are still pending but the type of phone had been changed to an lg flip phone and an iPhone 6. So I believe the fraud is occurring at the exchange center. Most of the representative appear to be from a call center in the Philippines and cannot help you. I think until a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) occurs we are all out of luck.  I am sure you have seen the posts on reddit, this seems to be a rampant issue.

(edited)

10 Messages

2 months ago

That is interesting they edited my line above. It means when a bunch of people get together and file a representative action via the judiciary system. Guess they don't like people talking about that on here. Everyone on reddit is talking about it. Only a matter of time.

Tutor

• 

33 Messages

2 months ago

I agree.   Something is happening at Pitney Bowes. 

1 Message

2 months ago

I’m also being charged for a non-returned device, even though it was returned over a month ago!! And now they’re telling me that it’s because my phone was damaged. It was in PERFECT condition!! And we lost my mother in law within a week or two of doing this scam upgrade and that makes no difference to them, we still have to pay for her devices and service. I canceled my autopay because I can’t afford what they’re trying to charge for my returned phone. Been a customer for over 10 years and never had a late payment and this is how they treat long term customers. The “loyalty department” is a complete joke. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.