The new iPhone 15
ProsperEn's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, January 27th, 2019 1:48 AM

Deactivating Stolen Phone

Very simple, a relative who now lives a few states away from me has a phone that is under my name and is legally mine, through att of course. Payments are still owed on the relatives phone, which they agreed to pay me for through money orders. They have refused to make payments since they moved. Problem..i'm paying for a phone I don't have in my possession any more. I want to deactivate the relatives phone, but also completely make the phone useless. I'll still finish paying off the phone.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

You can login to your account, select that line, and suspend the phone as lost or stolen.  This stops service to the SIM card and blacklists the phone.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Seems like i'll probably just have to report the phone stolen to the police and see if it can be seized and returned..thanks for the response however, I appreciate it.

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

You agreed to sell them the phone. That is not theft. You could try suing them, but if you report the phone stolen, you could actually be arrested for making a false police report.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

You asked how to deactivate the phones, not recover them.  🙄.  

Chances are a family member who won’t pay for their phone when they said they would isn’t going to return the phones whole or working - just for spite.  You can only cut your losses.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the help! This will save me so much trouble.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Can you still text if your phone is suspended?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@MALowe92 wrote:

Can you still text if your phone is suspended?

No.  You have no cellular service 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

my i phone X was stolen while i was incarcerated at&t does not believe this as they called the account holder my ex wife to activate the phone i could not communicate that the phone was stolen due to restrictions  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.