Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The new iPhone 14
Travelsusan's profile

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Jun 24, 2022 1:34 PM

Cell phone/internet usage on a cruise

We recently signed up for a cruise. Part of the package included wifi for so many minutes.  Do we still need to do the international plan while on the ship?   We have used that plan for a land trip to Ireland but never a cruise so I'm not sure how that all works.

Can someone explain to me, please?  

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.4K Messages

3分前

put your phone into airplane mode then turn wifi on and you should be ok

• 

2 Messages

3分前

So turn on the international plan AND turn the phone on airplane mode and that's it??  

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.8K Messages

3分前

The international day pass plan does not cover cruise ships. If you need cellular service on the cruise ship, consider getting a cruise ship plan but roaming on a cruise ship is expensive. As suggested, it is best to put your phone in airplane mode when on the cruise ship. If you have the ship’s WiFi service and have WiFi calling activated on your phone, you will be able to call and text over WiFi with no roaming charges. I just returned from a cruise to Iceland and WiFi calling worked great.

• 

3 Messages

2分前

To be clear, ATT's IDP can or cannot be used while a ship is at a port in a country covered by ATT's international day use play ($10 per day?)

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

2分前

First, you don’t need any kind  of plan to connect to WiFi, regardless of whether you’re on a ship or not.  WiFi is WiFi, just turn your cellular off.  Regarding cellular, it depends on what carrier you’re connected to.  If you’re connected to a carrier in the country you’re in, then IDP would apply.  But if you’re connected to the cell service on the ship, then it likely wouldn’t apply, because it’s the ships carrier, and the ship could be anywhere.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

59.8K Messages

2分前

But if you’re connected to the cell service on the ship, then it likely wouldn’t apply

The IDP definitely does not cover the cruise ship’s cellular service. Cruise ships are supposed to turn their cellular service off at ports, so connecting to the ship’s cellular when in port shouldn’t happen but bottom line, the IDP does cover port stops provided you connect to a land based carrier, not the ship.

• 

3 Messages

2分前

Thanks. So I should be able to identify the ship's cell carrier to avoid accidentally connecting to it?

If there a good app you would recommend that locates free wifi hot spots at various ports around the world?

Need help?
The new iPhone 14
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.