The phone that makes your everyday epic. Buy the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G now!
What is happening with 3G?
ingyhere's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, May 17, 2017 9:01 PM

Carrier Update 28.4 Bricked my iPhone 6

On or about May 9 I received a notification for a "Carrier Update" on my iPhone 6. Since I've never had any problems with iOS updates (and I know you can only refuse CUs twice, anyway) I consented and installed. That was the day the problems started. 

My phone has since started dropping off the network at a regular rate, about every two hours. Initially, a restart would bring it back online. I took it to the AT&T store and they ran diagnostics that cleared the hardware. They reset the network. That brought it back online. Then, subsequently, every time it went back to the "Searching..." message, resetting the network was the only thing that would bring it back online. 

This was an iPhone that was working great before the update. After the update it would routinely drop service, and it was hard to get onto the LTE network (4G most of the time). 

Today, I went into a building and I shut off my phone by putting it into Airplane Mode. I walked out two hours later, turned it off and then no more service. I reset the network three times. I cleared the iPhone RAM three times. I restarted four times. It has been hours, I only see "Searching..." on my iPhone, and now I don't have cellular service at all. What's a cell phone without cell service? Answer: A brick. Carrier Update 28.4 bricked my iPhone 6.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

I upgraded to 10.3.2 on a wifi network. Then the cellular transmitter came back online. It hasn't dropped network connections since yesterday afternoon. Its only been less than a day, but it seems to be working again as expected.

I don't know what happened there, and they don't publish the release notes. However, that is the last time I'm going to agree to update carrier settings outside a formal iOS update.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y ago

Yeah, that didn't really work. The iPhone ran well for two days, then it went back to not picking up cell service. So now I have an iPhone without a phone. I hope AT&T or Apple can warranty my device that their update broke. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

5 y ago

@ingyhere wrote:

Yeah, that didn't really work. The iPhone ran well for two days, then it went back to not picking up cell service. So now I have an iPhone without a phone. I hope AT&T or Apple can warranty my device that their update broke. 

@ingyhere

your on your own if your out of your 1 year warranty....  Take the phone to a apple store and see if they can reflash the whole phone for you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 y ago

I had the same thing happen shortly after I updated my iPhone 6. Mine just kept searching for a network but would not connect. I took it in to an at&t store and they said there was nothing they could do with it. Got stuck buying a new one. I wonder how many people will have this happens before anything is done? [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.