The new iPhone 15
bkzhang's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 23rd, 2018 7:05 PM

Can't Unlock iPhone X Purchased At Full Price

I bought an iPhone X at a retail store just over a week ago and was told I was able to unlock my phone right away since it is a post paid device. However my att account was automatically loaded into the iPhone sim card at the store and now whenever I make a request to unlock the phone it gets denied since because "my device hasn't been active for 6 months". I am leaving the country in a week and I am 100% unwilling to pay another 300 dollars just to have my phone unlocked when I already spent $1000 on the phone. I even asked the customer support over 611 to elevate my request but they seemed to be unable to properly convey that the device is post paid.

This is the email I received back

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your AT&T Mobile device:
CASE: **********_*********
IMEI: ******************************

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:

• You haven’t completed 6 months of paid service as a Prepaid/GoPhone® customer.

You can submit a new request once you complete 6 months of paid service.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or other Mobile devices, please visit att.com

Sincerely,
AT&T Customer Care Team

I have been to the retail store 4 times already and they sent me back to the phone customer care every single time. And the phone support seems clueless and are of no help as they keep on assuming my phone is a prepaid device

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Yeah.  Not really.  You have to wait till you can no longer return the phone, 14 days.   Your postpaid plan must be at least 60 days old.   

In the future, please buy the sim free phone from Apple.  Same price and will not lock.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

So essentially.. I was just blatantly lied to in an at&t store and got scammed for 1000 dollars.

They literaly told me I could unlock it instantly and that I would havr no trouble switching sim cards when I left in 2 weeks. The entire point of buying at retail price is for the phone to be unlocked or else you can save money by getting it with a monthly plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

In order for it to be a lie, they would have to know better.  I doubt they know much of anything about unlocking.  

BTW.  If your goal is to have a universal phone, the ATT or T-Mobile version is NOT.  It’s GSM only.  

Since you are within the 14 days, you could return, but would be charged restock fee.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.