For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Janeleroy's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, June 8th, 2015 12:15 PM

Cannot change APN

I bought an iphone 5s from AT&T a few years ago. Last year when I moved abroad, I paid to have it unlocked from AT&T. This summer I am in the US and want to use my phone for the month through Net10. I am able to use it to call & to text, but I cannot use my data plan that I have paid for. I have been told I need to change my APN, but I am not able to manually do this. Net10 & Apple have told me I need to have this done through AT&T. How can I do this? Thank you!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Janeleroy wrote:

I bought an iphone 5s from AT&T a few years ago. Last year when I moved abroad, I paid to have it unlocked from AT&T. This summer I am in the US and want to use my phone for the month through Net10. I am able to use it to call & to text, but I cannot use my data plan that I have paid for. I have been told I need to change my APN, but I am not able to manually do this. Net10 & Apple have told me I need to have this done through AT&T. How can I do this? Thank you!

I could be wrong but now that you have unlocked your phone and are using it on another carrier, I don't think ATT could help you even if they wanted to. Your APN settings had to have been changed when you got it unlocked, otherwise you would not have been able to use data on whatever carrier you've been using abroad. I think you need to go through your current carrier to get the APN settings changed.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you, that makes sense to me. I was surprised when the current carrier told me they couldn't help. I will try again!

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

I don't have my wife's iPhone in front of me (she's at work), but on my android, I can change the APN settings myself. Does Apple really have the APN settings locked down?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I am suppose to be able to do it by going through Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data > APN. But Cellular Data isn't something I can click through on my phone, it is just an on/off button. 

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

When it is "on", is there an "add" or "+" or menu button?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

No, it is just the green slide button. 

(Ps. Thank you for your help!)

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

unnamed.jpg This is how it looks.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

From this article, looks like your current carrier (not Apple or ATT) has locked you out.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201699

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for your help!

I found this article that helped me solve my problem: http://smartphonematters.com/how-to-setup-web-data-and-mms-for-your-iphone-running-ios-6/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.