Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
momof4_82's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Nov 14, 2014 3:21 PM

Can I sell a new iphone 6 I am currently paying payements on throught Next?

Hello,

I kind of have a dilemma.  I added a line for someone who was going to be on my contract, and I ordered an iphone 6 for them.  I have the phone, still in the box.  It's never been activated.  This person is no longer going to be on my account.  Now, I'm stuck with this phone.  I should have done something before now, but I was kind of waiting around to see what he was going to do.  Anyway, I know I'm going to have to make the payments on it until I can just pay it off.  I totally understand that, and will do so, because I don't want to hurt my credit.  My question is, am I allowed to see the brand new device, that way I can put that money toward what I owe?  I would just have to make sure they know it is locked into At&t, so it must be used on the At&t network, is that right?  Or is this not allowed?

Thanks!

Responses

airjrdn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

I can't imagine you'd have a hard time selling it, and yes, you can sell it.  If you bought it under contract, you may be liable for the early termination fee, so bear that in mind before doing anything.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply?  I have my own account on At&t, and if I'm still paying for the phone on the Next program, I wouldn't be terminating it right?  It's never even been activated.  It's still in the box, sealed.

airjrdn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Could you possibly return it?  How long have you had it?  If it's sealed, I'd think they'd take it back.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I thought I would be able to, but the lady on the phone gave me the run around and told me I didn't try to do so within the alotted time.  I think I'll visit my local store and see if maybe they can help me return it?  Otherwise, I guess I'll just try to sell it.

airjrdn

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

That's exactly what I'd do.  Even if they don't take it back, you should have no problem selling it unopened..just don't open it!

Do however, be sure to know what your costs are going to be so you don't lose much if any money.

deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

6 years ago

That phone is yours to do as you please.  you will not be charged a ETF since you are on the NEXT program.  The only time that you would have to pay an ETF is if you are under contract.  The iPhone 6 16 GB goes for 649.99 + tax new.  So depends on how much you sell if for will determine how much you personally will have to pay.  So think of it this way $650-what you sell it for=what you will end up having to pay.  The iPhone 6 isn't easy to get, so like previous comments, shouldn't be hard to sell.  Yes you should tell them that the phone is locked to AT&T.  AT&T can unlock it, but don't know if you need to make a certain amount of payments first or what.  But I know once it is paid off you can get it unlocked.  So if someone is willing to pay the price of it at full price then just pay it off with AT&T and then get it unlocked if you set that up with the buyer.

Get started...

Ask a new question