Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
theskater101388's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018 4:07 PM

Blacklisted iPhone 8

Has anyone had any luck with getting their phone un-blacklisted from AT&T? I bought my iPhone 8 through eBay 7 months ago. Today my phone IEMI was reported lost/stolen and my phone was blacklisted. eBay only protects up to 30 days and PayPal only protects up to 6 months, so these people obviously knew what they were doing in order to not have people look into the case. Am I basically screwed or has AT&T come up with some sort or solution for this type of scam? Are they even hearing people out on the matter or are they basically just telling everyone they are beat? Idk how they can even blacklist a phone that has been registered on their network and in my account for 7 months and then all of a sudden have someone who previously owned the phone say that they lost it, when it was never in service under their account or nothing.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done. AT&T doesn't investigate whether phones are actually lost or stolen. If the customer and owner of a device calls and reports the phone lost/stolen, it goes on the block list and can only be removed by that same customer. If the previous owner filed an insurance claim, they're committing insurance fraud which is Asurion's problem, not AT&T's but there's not much they can do to help you either. That's a risk you take when you buy phones from a third party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

For future reference, AT&T fraud department refuses to look into this and just passes the torch to the insurance company who reported it stolen. They will not give out any information that can get to the bottom of this scam. I have been defrauded and no one will do a dam thing or has the slightest concern about it. AT&T does NOT CARE about its costumers of 15 years since back when they were Cingular. It is a dam shame that they allow this fraud to happen on their network and will not work with anyone to resolve the issue that is becoming more and more of a problem. I hope someone in an AT&T position sees this and replies so I can see what excuse and fake apology they’ll give this time about not wanting to investigate it or provide any helpful information. SMFH

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@theskater101388 wrote:

For future reference, AT&T fraud department refuses to look into this and just passes the torch to the insurance company who reported it stolen. They will not give out any information that can get to the bottom of this scam. I have been defrauded and no one will do a dam thing or has the slightest concern about it. AT&T does NOT CARE about its costumers of 15 years since back when they were Cingular. It is a dam shame that they allow this fraud to happen on their network and will not work with anyone to resolve the issue that is becoming more and more of a problem. I hope someone in an AT&T position sees this and replies so I can see what excuse and fake apology they’ll give this time about not wanting to investigate it or provide any helpful information. SMFH

@theskater101388

You will have to take the problem up with assurion which is the insurance provider if they blacklisted it.  ATT owes you nothing as your the 2nd owner of the device.  Buying used devices in this day and age is risky compared to years past.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

For future reference, AT&T fraud department refuses to look into this and just passes the torch to the insurance company who reported it stolen. They will not give out any information that can get to the bottom of this scam. I have been defrauded and no one will do a dam thing or has the slightest concern about it. AT&T does NOT CARE about its costumers of 15 years since back when they were Cingular. It is a dam shame that they allow this fraud to happen on their network and will not work with anyone to resolve the issue that is becoming more and more of a problem. I hope someone in an AT&T position sees this and replies so I can see what excuse and fake apology they’ll give this time about not wanting to investigate it or provide any helpful information.

The only contact you'll have from AT&T here is an invitation to send a direct message to one of the moderators.

The reason AT&T won't do anything about it is it's not their problem. They didn't have anything to do with you buying a phone from someone else, and they have even less to do with insurance fraud. That's like complaining to your bank or Toyota that someone stole your Camry. As for Asurion, all they're required to do is put the old phone on the blocklist. Even if they did pursue the previous owner for fraud, they still wouldn't remove the phone from the blocklist for you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Asurion stated that in order for them to put in a device as lost or stolen and have it blacklisted, the phone would have to have an active billed account on it linked to its serial or iemi at the time of the report and that phone number would be used when filing the claim. They have no record of my phone number being used in a claim in relation with the phone and there is nothing else they can do, and I told them if that was the case then “ok I must have reported it stolen then since it’s been on my account the last 7 months, I have found it.”, which led no where. So maybe it wasn’t that phone insurance provider. So I again went back to AT&T to at least tell me the insurance company who reported it to them, because from what they see in their systems and what I can get out of them, the phone was reported stolen and a replacement phone was sent out to the owner, but they weren’t allowed to disclose any more information on them to me.

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

6 years ago

The phone number associated with the insurance claim was likely a person who had the phone before you bought it off of eBay 7 months ago.  That person either submitted the claim or did something that cause the insurance company to blacklist the phone.  They may have simply sold you the phone, patiently waited 7 months, reported the phone stolen, gotten an insurance replacement and the insurance company then blacklisted the phone.  That’s one scenario, but there could be others.  In any case, AT&T isn’t going to give you any information on anyone else’s account, like who had that IMEI on their account previously.  If Asurion blacklisted the phone and someone committed insurance fraud and got the phone blacklisted, that’s between you and Asurion to deal with.  AT&T won’t get involved with that at all.  They have nothing to do with it since you didn’t buy the phone from them.  You’re just buying the service, and their only responsibility is to provide the service in accordance with the terms of the service agreement.  When you bring your own phone, you’re responsible for the phone working or not.  Sorry, but that’s how it is.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I got the same treatment from AT&T and from Asurion.    I purchased new phone off Craigslist (yes I know that is a huge no-no).  It turns out that the seller had taken out insurance 2 days prior to selling.  I activated before paying seller and used it without any problems for 3 weeks.  Then seller filed stolen claim.  Many hours with different people at AT&T and at Asurion.  I had information on the seller that would've been useful in them connecting dots to make life harder for the con artist to do the scam.  Why doesn't Asurio demand the claimant to produce a police report of the theft? Especially in lieu of the fact that somebody (me) is feeding them information on what the scam was.   I showed them that the number and name of the person who sold the phone to me was the same as the info associated with their insurance claim.  Asurion doesn't want to hear anything and it is very hard to get a person on the phone there.  But they are trained to say there is nothing they can do.  And AT&T just points to Asurion.  They are hoping the Craigslist just goes away so they don't have so many stolen phones to replace. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.6K Messages

5 years ago

@beeblop  If you have the information and know who the scammer is, why don’t you got to the police or file a civil case against the scammer?  The issue is completely between you and Asurion.  AT&T has nothing to do with it.  They aren’t going to expend the resources and independently investigate and override Asurion’s blacklisting.  Asurion should be doing that, but the reality is that it’s probably cheaper for them to do nothing than to go through the legal process and prove that this guy committed insurance fraud.  Your best bet is to take legal action against this person yourself.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

My situation is I purchased iPhone 6s from AT&T store, and the phone was reported stolen and lost by someone else other than me. I was told my phone was blacklisted. Can you please advise how can I do to remove from the list?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.