Troubleshoot your device issues
sellamalin's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Jan 11, 2016 12:01 PM

AT&T tells me my iPhone 4 is unlocked, but phone store in Paris says it is still locked

I've just moved to Paris, France, and want to get cell service here, so I put in an unlock request for my iPhone 4, and a couple days later received a confirmation email that my phone was now unlocked. I went to a phone store for a French phone carrier (SFR); they put in a new SIM card, but the SIM card did not work, and they told me that my phone was still locked to my previous carrier. The employees at the phone store took out the SIM card and re-inserted it many times, with the same result. My provider has always been AT&T. I have a prepaid go phone.

I called customer service to deal with this issue, but they just took down my problem and said they would send it off and email me back with a solution. That was last week; I haven't received an email since, and have a feeling nothing is going to be done from AT&T about this. When I check my unlock status online, it still says that my device is unlocked and is ready to go as soon as I put in a SIM card. The new SIM card is still in my phone, just as good as useless right now. 

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and knows what I can do? It's a little frustrating that no one from AT&T is able to help. Thank you!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

Hello,

If you have received the unlock confirmation from att. in iphones you have to connect the iphone with the carrier sim you want to use to a computer and open itunes. itunes will then unlock the phone via software in a couple of seconds. if it says activation error unplug the iphone from computer and plug in again and you will see that a message will say, congratulations your iphone is now unlocked. 

in iphones the unlock works diferent from the regular phones that Att will send you an unlock code. everything is via itunes.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

7年前

Contact your carrier for the status of your unlock request.
After your carrier confirms that your iPhone unlock has been processed, go to the next section.

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier, follow these steps:
Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card.
Complete the setup process.

If you don't have another SIM card you can use, follow these steps to complete the process:
Back up your iPhone.
When you have a backup, erase your iPhone.
Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

Get help

Follow these steps if you have any issues or if you see this message in iTunes or on your device:
"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store."

Restore your iPhone to factory settings.
Contact your carrier to make sure that the unlock was applied in your carrier's system.
Restore your iPhone from a backup.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

There is no need to erase the iPhone to get the unlock via itunes. Just follow the instructions in my post. I have a Cellphone unlock and repair store for more than 6 years.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7年前

abc.celular - I opened iTunes, but no message has come up telling me that my phone is successfully unlocked, although AT&T representatives (and my unlock status page) continue to tell me that my phone is unlocked and there should be no problems. 

Does that mean I should go ahead and back up my phone and then erase it, or is there something else I should do?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7年前

lizdance40 - I have a SIM card from a carrier other than my current carrier, and it is in my phone, and yet in the top left corner of my phone, it says "Invalid SIM" and I have been told at the store that my phone is still locked, even though AT&T tells me it is unlocked.  I've contacted my carrier and they have confirmed that the unlock was applied in their system. It seems the only option I have to exhaust is to backup my iPhone, erase it, and restore it, which I will attempt, although many articles say I only need to do this if I am trying to put in a SIM card of the same carrier (AT&T) rather than a different one. Do you have any other suggestions/ideas? Not sure I want to risk losing all my data in case that won't help, since it seems you're not typically supposed to erase and restore your iPhone when you have inserted a SIM card from a different carrier, which I have done. 

Thanks!

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.