Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Nov 29, 2018 7:02 PM

AT&T Support for eSIM for iPhone XS, XS MAX and XR

I purchased an iPhone XS Max with dual sim (eSIM and nano SIM) capability.  The phone is unlocked and I currently have a AT&T nano SIM Card installed and operational.  Both Verizon and AT&T tell me that programming for the eSIM is not currently available from each respective carrier.  This inquiry is post deployment of IOS 12.1 which added the dual SIM compatible software.  Does anyone know whether AT&T or Verizon have scheduled a date for use of the eSIM?  I'd like to add Verizon service to my iPhone XS Max, but first I need to either Verizon or AT&T to offer eSIM activation for their respective service. 

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

eSim now up and running on AT&T.  Installed it on my iPhone Xs Max today.  It requires a visit to an AT&T store to set up and be patient - most of the people in the store don't know much about it yet.  The store visit is required because you need to purchase a $5 card with the QR code.

PSUNYH

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

That's good news. I'll go today. Thanks!

PSUNYH

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

I went to AT&T store and bought the $5 QR card and now my phone is setup with AT&T eSIM. I set my default voice line to Verizon (nano SIM card) but use my Data Plan from AT&T in the Cellular settings.
It’s working great!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I tried going to the store today and no one there could help me (or wanted to, I'm not sure 🤷‍♂️😡).  The clerk said they have the cards but could't sell them yet because they weren't checked into inventory and no one has been trained yet.  Since Verizon releases tomorrow, I might try them. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I went to the AT&T store today, purchased the $5 card and they tried to help me set it up. But the phone would not scan the QR code — returned an error message! By that time the nano-SIM was deactivated, so my phone at that point was a brick. They didn’t know what to do so they sent me to Apple; fortunately there was an Apple store nearby and they were able to look after me promptly. 

The solution is is to be sure that the phone is connected to wi-fi when you scan the QR code! If the phone’s not on wi-fi, it can’t connect to anything and can’t activate the e-SIM. Apple connected me to the wi-fi in their store and the setup completes instantly. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I finally got mine activated as well.  I read somewhere else of some difficulty with activation and one solution was to remove the phone from your "find my iPhone" service.  I did that before I went.  After activation of the esim, it took some time for the phone to add the service because of errors saying "the plan could not be added".  After approximately 10 minutes, it finally went through and works great.  I have AT&T esim activated as my Primary and Verizon on the nano sim.  It's working great!

PSUNYH

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

That's a good info! The problem is not all AT&T stores are knowledgeable or have experience with eSIM.
The store I went to knew enough to connect me to the store WiFi to scan the QR code.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

If you are switching from an AT&T physical sim to the esim what’s the process?  I have the Q card but don’t know if I need to give anyone in care the info or just scan it.. anyone know the process?

kostya88

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

a year ago

I have an iPhone XS and was very excited to get the eSIM activated with my current number and keep the sim tray empty for when I travel abroad and use those sims cards. I recently went to the store to request the QR code or whatever I'd need to get my number activated on the eSIM. I was told my store staff as well as ATT customer care that the only way I can get the eSIM service activated is to add a whole new line and that I cannot use my existing line at all to work with the eSIM, which doesn't sound right to me at all as that would be very chaotic from a consumer standpoint. Has anyone else run into his issue when requesting the same thing from ATT? any help is appreciated!

kostya88

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

a year ago

Thank you so much for your help!!! I just went to another AT&T with much more willing staff and they were able to help me get exactly what I needed done!

Thanks again 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I added my second line in my iPhone XS today, Dec 13

The process was very easy and quick 

It took me about 10 minutes to stay in the store to get things done 

Thank you, store representatives!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I wish my experience was like that. Since I have always purchased my iPhone from AT&T over the web, I ordered the eSIm this morning from their website order form and it verified my phone as valid for an eSim. It then asked what area code I wanted. Next, it asked for payment. Next it completed the order and advised me to expect an email. Nothing came other than an order number email. The email said to check a URL for status. The stars said the order was cancelled by me or by AT&T but no reason given. Eight hours later, I called *611 and spoke to a rep who knew nothing about eSim. I had to spell it for her a couple times. I had to explain it to her twice. She said the SIM card is mailed to you. I said this is not a SIM card, it's digital. This is super embarrassing as a vendor, AT&T that you don't have educated reps on your customer support lines. I mean, really? I gave her the order number and it took her about 5 minutes to get an answer that the order is now NOT cancelled by PENDING. It would take over night but I should wait three days for the package! OMG...no idea that it digital....Oh Lord......is anyone awake at AT&T?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

You are buying a digital sim, but it comes on a physical business card type card that has a QR code, sku, and other information printed on it.  They could still email the same thing to you, but that is likely what is being sent.  You will then use this card to add your line as the steps outline.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

a year ago

This is why they should tell you to go-to the store.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
PSUNYH

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

a year ago

Unfortunately I had the same experience when I called AT&T and had to explain to the person what an eSIM is. Then I called a few AT&T stores on 12/07 and luckily one of the stores in Los Gatos, CA knew how to help me activated it. It took only 10 minutes. The rest of the dual-SIM settings I did it myself
I totally agreed with you. AT&T should train all the staff before they announce the support of eSIM.