Troubleshoot your device issues
D_W's profile

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Apr 15, 2022 2:51 AM

AT&T Rep Replaced My New, Never Used Sim Card

Bought iPhone 13 Pro Max from Apple, they could not activate because AT&T account is prepaid, so they just unlocked it. The AT&T store rep didn’t know what to do, said he called the District Mgr who said my brand new Sim card needed to be replaced to keep my existing number. Huh? I unlocked my phone with Face ID, he walked to get Sim card, asked for my passcode. Anyway, that’s what was done. Didn’t see him destroy the brand new one, with my contact info, etc, that he took out. Called the 611# to change banking account# for payments. Learned that you can activate by phone, one of the options is whether you want to keep your existing Sim card. Was I scammed?

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2分前

Didn’t see him destroy the brand new one, with my contact info, etc, that he took out.

There is no information stored on the SIM card. You weren’t scammed. You really did need a new SIM card. The SIM card that came with the new phone was for postpaid service, not prepaid.

• 

3 Messages

2分前

Called AT&T and APPLE on my day off, lovely...AT&T still had a record of the Sim card# from my original  IPhone 6+, said all that was needed was the new Sim card#, the kid was only supposed to record my new Sim card#, not change out the Sim card!!! My new iPhone read Discoverable as iPhone (8)*?! smh

Stop passing bad information.

The store manager, unreachable that day, and the district manager failed the consumer...me.

BTW, only one employee in that store, several people waiting, one customer eventually left, the guy in front of us was scammed, the young man said he couldn’t help him but admitted the contract was suspect.

If I’m taken off of this forum, so be it, but AT&T needs to step up their game or I’m changing carriers.

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

2分前

Trying to figure exactly what the possible “scam” was.  AT&T SIM cards have no contact information stored on them.  On an iPhone, the only information on the SIM is your number and account info, so what would AT&T gain by replacing your card?  Does your phone not work now with the new SIM?  Do you have a different number or plan?  Not sure what they were only supposed to “record” your SIM card number actually means, and “discoverable” is usually only associated with setting up devices to connect via Bluetooth.

No one is going to take you off this forum for complaining, but unless you clearly express an actual problem you have with the phone now, it’s going to be difficult to get much help.  Hard to expect AT&T to step up their “game” when no one knows what the game is.

• 

3 Messages

2分前

An AT&T employee, expert needs to comment.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.