Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
What is happening with 3G?
parisi2274's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Sep 10, 2015 3:04 AM

AT&T Next question from a AT&T user who was last on a contract

Hi All, 

First post, so I apologize if this has been asked... 

I am currently on a iPhone 5S, that was purchased with a 2yr contract that ends in a week, and when I go to the 6s, it will be the first time I am dealing with AT&T Next, and so I am a bit confused as to how the whole thing works..

My understanding of subsidized pricing was that you pay $299 for a phone, and over 2yrs you pay it off via charges built into your monthly phone bill.  I was looking through my current bill and past bills, and I do not see any sort of charges that would indicate that I am paying off the phone.... 

Currently I am paying about $105 a month for Unlimited Data and text, and so now if I preorder the 6s on Saturday and go with a 24month AT&T Next plan, am I to assume that my bill is going to go up $25-$30 a month onto of the current $105 I am paying now?  Or does my monthly bill get adjusted down because I did not buy a phone under contract, and then the newly adjusted bill would have the $25-$30 AT&T next payment built into that?

It's all so confusing, and I'd like to get an idea of what I can expect when I sign up for the Next program.

Also, there wouldn't happen to be some sort of calculator that AT&T has on their site that gives you an estimate on what your monthly bill would be on AT&T Next when used with a certain plan?

Thanks All!!!!

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

6 y ago

With the old grandfathered plans, you do not get any "savings" for doing the NEXT program. On the Mobile Share Data Plans, you get a discount for being out of contract, $15 discount for plans with data plans of 6gb or smaller and a $25 discount for plans with data plans of 10gb or larger. That is how you get the savings. The NEXT plan does not cause a contract on your line, it is a purchase agreement to pay full price for the phone. A subsidized phone causes a contract and you will lose or not receive the discount.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 y ago

Thank You for that... 

So I should expect my bill to increase from what I paying now to something that is approx $25-$30 more per month?

kyle.b

Scholar

• 

99 Messages

6 y ago

If you're grandfathered into the NationTalk plan than just buy the phone with a 2 year agreement (AT&T still has them) and be done with it...you get phone with 2 year agreement, your bill stays the same. We would need more details about your plan to give you a better answer

cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 y ago

This worksheet was prepared last year by another member.  It is useful in that it shows that keeping a two-year agreement is often the best deal.  It might be benficial for you to use the format and plug-in your numbers (e.g., the cost of your UDP).

Next vs Two-Year Contract.png

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

6 y ago

@parisi2274 wrote:

Currently I am paying about $105 a month for Unlimited Data and text, and so now if I preorder the 6s on Saturday and go with a 24month AT&T Next plan, am I to assume that my bill is going to go up $25-$30 a month onto of the current $105 I am paying now?  Or does my monthly bill get adjusted down because I did not buy a phone under contract, and then the newly adjusted bill would have the $25-$30 AT&T next payment built into that?

Also, there wouldn't happen to be some sort of calculator that AT&T has on their site that gives you an estimate on what your monthly bill would be on AT&T Next when used with a certain plan?

As long as you plan to keep your old plan, there is no financial advantage to buying your phone via Next. The only discount you get with your old plan is the ability to buy a 2 year contract discounted phone which you can still do but you must order online at att.com.

Next is just a way to pay full retail price for a phone with interest free monthly payments. To calculate your monthly costs just take the full retail price of the phone and divide it by the number of months you have to pay. 

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.