Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

Tue, Jan 28, 2020 8:47 PM

AT&T iPhone, moved to Consumer Cellular (w CC AT&T SIM). AT&T and CCellular cannot unlock to use other carriers SIMS.

I am about at wits end. I have spent many hours on the phone with AT&T and have made numrous calls to Consumer Cellular with no resolution.

​My wife's iPhone6 purchased originally purchased from AT&T was eligible for unlocking more than a couple of years ago. But no one can seem to be able to unlock it. We switched a year or two ago from being with AT&T for years and moved to Consumer Cellular , using their CC AT&T network SIM (vs. the T-Mobile one).

I had unlocked my iPhone 7 previously and it uses New Zealand carrier SIMS with no problems.

My wife's phone did NOT get unlocked while on the AT&T system, but works fine on teh Consumer Cellular system, but can no longer use any non-AT&T SIM and shows as Locked if we try.

When I use the AT&T website systems for unlock, it eventually comes back with a message that says

"Looks like the device you want to unlock is active on anoterh AT&T account. The owner has to remove it from their account first.

Did we get that wrong? If you are the owner, call (Phone number hidden) or 611 from the phone to confirm."

Last night a techician said he and his boss were both working on it for two plus hours and were'Getting errors" and also couldn't seem to do it.

They were going to call back, but never did.

Trying the unlock from another direction it gives a message, "That phone is on an AT&T sub-carrier account. "

Consumer Cellular maintains , logically enough, that they didn't lock it and therefore can't unlock it.

When I search this forum I see a couple of earlier messages with similar complaint with no anser.

AT&T, or Anyone , can you helpl me? I have been working on it for days, and we are leaving later today.

I will continue the effort when we get to New Zealand in a couple of days, but

Thanks. Bob

Responses

Accepted Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.8K Messages

2 months ago

file an FCC complaint online . its free.

The complaint is forwarded to at&t upper management, who will contact you directly.

This is an unfortunate quirk of the unlock portal, and I have yet to see away around it.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

Its because of how CC has there accounts set up. It says its active on a ATT account because it is as CC set it up that way. Do what @lizdance40 said and hope they get you sorted.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@lizdance40

Thanks. Can you point me to where online? I am racing out the door to catch an airplane.

MAny thanks to you and @GLIMMERMAN76

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.8K Messages

I am on mobile so I can not give you a workable link
Type FCC complaint into your browser, and then choose phone form

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@lizdance40 Thanks. I am in New Zealand now and have filed an FCC Complaint on their website, found per your advice. I ho[e they will try to email me, as well as call on the number I gave them, as I cannot recievve phone calls on the US cell number of the account in question while I am here. Thanks again!

Bob

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@lizdance40 Many Thanks LizDance40 .You set me on the path and the problem is now resolved afer MUCH emailing and calling.

Here is a recap of how the resolution worked in case it may be of help to anyone with troubelsome non-logical problems with AT&T Unlock .

One or two days after I remotely (from New Zealand) filed the FCC Informal Complaint online as you suggested, I got a quick email response form the Office of the President of AT&T requesting that I leave a number they could call me back on. They would NOT respond with any information via emails and responses via emails were almost always stock Replies that said to call and leave a message of how to get ahold of me.

I set up a VoIP number in the US with Anveo.com and then set it to ring my iPhone here in New Zealand.

Each time I called,, I would get an stock eail reply or a phone call with Call Me Back and leave your phone number . I FINALLY hit a live person (Kimberly CLark) after awhile and we talked, but she was NOT encooraging and said that there was a problem with the IMEI info, but would not elaborate or hep me figure out the problem.

SOLUUTION: After two plus weeks of not hearing back except for the stock emails and voice messages, she called my VoIP number this morning at 6am local time and I sprang uup and called back.

I mentioned that we had purchased the iPhone6 before it was released, and had also purchased a two year AT&T Extended Warranty.

She said that the phone must have been exchanged when we took it in for service (although we don't remember having done so), and the phone with the new IMEI eveidently did not get entered into the Apple/AT&T database. She put out a magic word and I was able this morning to insert a Vodafone New Zealand SIM , and the iPhone6 lit up, connected, and requested Activation. MANY THANKS TO KIMBERLY !!

No data lost, pretty much all seems well, except that we can't send/receive SMS text messages yet. Only iMessages. But I suspected there might be a few kinks to work out once we got it up and running after taking out our Consumer cellular SIM (CC's ATT version, vs. CC TMoble).

Sorry for the detail and length, but has taken me fourteen months and a HUGE amount of time in research, emails, and phone calls to AT&T and Consumer Cellular.

MANY Thanks to all here for jumping in with help. Including AT&Ts Kimberly Cl,ark and especially @LizDance40 !

Bob

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.8K Messages

Long reply is good!
Many get upset and don't realize how much trouble it is to unlock outside the USA.
Great update!

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

2 months ago

Hello,

You can submit unlock requests via att.com/deviceunlock, as well as check the status of a current request. The error you’re describing is probably tied to the fact Consumer Cellular uses AT&T by buying a massive block of lines from them to use at a negotiated rate and then sold at a low cost to customers through the name Consumer Cellular. What I’m getting at there is that the unlock portal will determine the phone is active on another account... as in the CC one that’s on AT&T service. So best bet is to try as “not a customer” option on the above portal link, or call customer service 800 331 0500 and ask them if they can file a ticket to fix the issue. They’ll need your number and the phone IMEI to verify the original purchase.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@mobilemax Thanks. I have been trying this in a few hour spurts for over a year and have talked to aT&T Suppoprt numerous times, Also tried several times as Not a ustomer.

I am now in New Zealand for the second time without the use of this phone awhile out of the US nd just filed an FCC Informal Complaint per suggestion from @LizDance40 .

If that doesn't work, I may try the 800 number you offered (Thanks!), but I am almost sure I have tried it previously.

But willing to go around again. I am getting verry determined and dogged about this now on principle. I could have bought numerous new iphones with the value of time spent, and perhaps should have.

Thanks - Bob

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.8K Messages

That 800 number will not work outside the usa

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

@lizdance40 Thanks. I have a way to VoIP a US number from here so that I can. I appreciate your response.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…