Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Sep 11, 2019 4:14 AM

AT&T Can You Help?

Dear AT&T,

I recently purchased an iPhone XR of yours second-hand from someone who advised that the device had been unlocked and paid off. The IMEI number is [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.], and I just found out from your store today that there may be an unpaid balance left on the device. I am not asking for any personal details on the account or what is left owing on the device. However, I am concerned that the account user may stop paying for the device, which could end up with it being "blacklisted".

The seller has been unresponsive and unwilling to resolve this problem, so I have gone ahead and filed a report with the local Police Department. In the meantime, I am asking for your help. What can I do on my end to ensure that this device does not get blacklisted by AT&T, and is there anything that I can do on my end to have it unlocked at this point? I should have been more diligent on my end and, unfortunately, made a poor decision in a rush to try and replace my daughter's iPhone. Please let me know if you can assist us in any way with this one!

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

dwill05

Master

• 

3.7K Messages

6 months ago

There is nothing else you can do.  AT&T only deals with the original owner.  They won’t tell you anything about the original owner’s account, including how much is owed.  If the phone isn’t paid off, it won’t be unlocked, and it could be blacklisted.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

5 months ago

@jake1798 wrote:

An AT&T rep told me over the phone that if I have the device in service with them for 6-months that they will unlock it. 

The rep gave you information based on the prepaid lock policy.   That does not matter and is irrelevant.   If the phone has not been paid off by its previous owner AT&T is still not going to unlock it.    And if they were scamming you or if the phone was stolen from its actual original owner it could still be blacklisted.  You can cross your fingers and hope but you are entirely at the mercy of whoever owned that phone before you did. 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

An AT&T rep told me over the phone that if I have the device in service with them for 6-months that they will unlock it.