For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
J

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, January 19th, 2022 3:44 AM

Are AT&T iPhones sold on Apple really unlocked?

I keep my phones until they die, coming from an iPhone 7, and always pay for them in full, usually used. This time I am going to buy the iPhone 13 mini at full price since COVID and dealing with the circus that is Craiglist and FB Marketplace isn't worth it. The Apple website specifically says "All iPhone models are unlocked except those purchased with AT&T Installment Plans." Based on this information I should be able to pay for an AT&T phone outright and receive it unlocked, saving that $30, but I've seen older posts suggesting otherwise. I have an AT&T prepaid account, and have had one for years and am very happy with it, so I am not even sure how it would work to unlock it since I technically don't have a billed account. I just want to make sure my phone is unlocked and I don't feel completely dumb trying to save $30 on a phone that is useless to me traveling abroad, which I do quite often, or at least did pre-pandemic.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

If you buy the ATT one it will be locked and if you are prepaid and stick a prepaid sim in it then it will lock for 6 months.  Do yourself a favor and spend the 30 bucks.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Jessiebanana How in the heck was that rude? I have no idea why you took it as rude, it sure wasn’t intended. Sorry, it was not clear to me you were buying with an ATT SIM card. @GLIMMERMAN76 is right, if you buy with a SIM card, it will be locked and since you are prepaid, you will have to wait 6 months to unlock.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

I purchased the iPhone 13 Pro SIM free model which did not have the $30.00 price difference 

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot I appreciate you sharing your experience!

@ATTHelp I appreciate the clarification. Buying the AT&T option will cause it to lock once "activated" by my existing SIM, and I have to have six months of service on that particular device.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@Fl_retire 

The lower priced models have that extra 30 bucks added..  I have no idea why.  I buy full priced with the wife's veterans discount.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@Fl_retire I checked that out and that's really interesting, that there is no price difference for that model. Unfortunately the Pro versions are both too large for my hands (for my preferences) and my budget.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 I might just do that. I don't need my phone unlocked right away, but even in reading the details it says, "To receive the discount, all you need to do is authorize activation of your new iPhone with an eligible AT&T Unlimited plan..." So I don't even know if I am eligible or what would happen if I got the phone and tried to use a prepaid SIM. Apple seems to be letting me check out...but I feel headaches looming.

The whole cell phone/plan/carrier system all feels so excessive and ridiculous to me. It reminds me why I only do this once every four years. I just wanted to save $70, with the small trade-in discount.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.