For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
trparky's profile

Guru

• 

594 Messages

Sunday, February 15th, 2015 5:18 AM

AppleCare or carrier insurance?

I'm going to be getting the iPhone 6 Plus under AT&T Next. What would you suggest to cover the device? AppleCare or carrier insurance?

I do have to admit that I'm kind of scared about using carrier warranty. It appears that AT&T uses Assurion as their provider for warranty service and they seem to be getting some seriously bad reviews on the Internet.

OK, so here I am wondering if all of those complaints against Assurion are really true. Are they really that bad? If so, would you recommend getting AppleCare instead?

And on that note... One of the things about AT&T Next is that at the end of your AT&T Next term, you have the ability to trade in your device for a new device.

If say, you get AppleCare+ on an iPhone and you have an issue later on down the road that results in having to get work done on it, what happens? Does your iPhone actually get repaired? Or does it get simply swapped out for a new iPhone at an Apple Store? Or do you get a refurbished iPhone?

With that being said, if you get a device either repaired or swapped out under AppleCare by Apple, is that device still eligible to be traded in at the end of your AT&T Next term for a new device under AT&T Next?

So should I get AT&T carrier insurance or AppleCare? Is Assurion really that bad? Or are people just ranting on the Internet much like a lot of people do?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

It is really not one or the other, they are two different products with two different purposes. The insurance is not warranty repair. It is insurance for replacing a lost or broken phone while Apple Care is extended warranty. You should never make an insurance claim for something that is covered under warranty. You should always take warranty issues to Apple.

Apple Care does not cover a lost or stolen phone and it does not cover certain types of damage. However, even with such damage, often times an Apple Genius Bar will fix or replace for less than what it would cost through the insurance with its deductible. Remember, you get one year of warranty coverage with Apple whether you buy Apple Care or not. Apple Care just extends that warranty coverage.

Personally, I don't think the insurance is a good deal. I am on my third iPhone, I've never purchased either.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

I totally agree with sandblaster. In all the years we have had phones in our extended family, only one has been lost and one destroyed (by a chewing dog). At the current rate of $8-10 a month per phone, it makes more sense to bank the money toward a repair or replacement.

Guru

• 

594 Messages

9 years ago

But remember, I have to return the device at the end of the AT&T Next term. If I don't have an intact iPhone to return I'm screwed.

So, if get AppleCare for the device and for whatever reason something needs to be done to the iPhone (replaced, repaired, etc.), will AT&T Next accept that device as a trade-in at the end of the term?

Guru

• 

594 Messages

9 years ago

Would you suggest getting both the insurance and AppleCare at the same time? The insurnace to cover a lost or stolen device and AppleCare to actually cover the repairs of the device?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@trparky wrote:

But remember, I have to return the device at the end of the AT&T Next term. If I don't have an intact iPhone to return I'm screwed.

So, if get AppleCare for the device and for whatever reason something needs to be done to the iPhone (replaced, repaired, etc.), will AT&T Next accept that device as a trade-in at the end of the term?

The AppleCare+ is an excellent extended warranty plan.  It covers all warranty issues for 2 full years at no extra cost to you.  It also covers non-warrany damage (water emersion, broken screen, etc.) twice in the 2 years for about $80-90 per incident.  The only think the AppleCare+ doesn't cover is intentional damage, or loss/theft.

Any Apple warrany service is pretty much all treated the same.  You go into the Apple Store, they examine your phone.  If it's covered, they give you a refurbished device to replace your defective one, and you are back on your way.

From what I recall from my discussions with AT&T about it, when you exchange your phone under NEXT, they check to see if you have the same model & capacity as what your plan indicates, and they check for any signs of physical damage.  Since Apple generally replaces phones rather than performing most repairs on the spot, AT&T seems to handle that by not requiring specific IMEI numbers to be exchanged, just phone models with appropriate storage capacity.  I haven't had a NEXT plan long enough to know this from personal experience, but it only seems to make sense to me, since your new phone could have a warranty issue, and Apple might replace it under warranty, so AT&T has to allow for such situations.

Since I know where my phone is at all times, I tend to get AppleCare+, but I tend not to opt for the carrier insurance.  My homeowners insurance has some coverage for only slightly higher deductible than the Assurion coverage sold through AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

You only return the phone if you want to take advantage of the upgrade at 12/18 months. If you complete all the Next payments, the phone is yours to keep.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

9 years ago

@trparky wrote:

Would you suggest getting both the insurance and AppleCare at the same time? The insurnace to cover a lost or stolen device and AppleCare to actually cover the repairs of the device?

In my case, I got both, Apple Care+ and Assurion. Reason Assurion covers lost and stolen phones, while AppleCare+ don't. I really don't expect my iPhone 6 to be ripped off or lost, I make sure I know where it is, have it OtterBox and holster. Also, I set up Find My iphone app on phone. If hardware issues I prefer Apple. Assurion phones most likely refurbished.Smiley Wink

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

I love math....
I've had a cell phone for 20 years,. My now ex husband the same, the kids about half that.
At an average of $8 per month, per phone I would have paid $5,670 in insurance.
If the person using the phone is a "wreck-it Ralph", historically, then the insurance is a good bet.
I have never had a broken, lost or stolen phone, since I didn't get insurance I figure I am ahead about $1,800.

You have to be comfortable, s follow your gut.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.