Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
PurpleSquirrel's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sun, Jun 3, 2018 1:11 AM

Apple Watch via AT&T

I’ve been interested in an Apple Watch for a while.  A friend told me I could get an up-tp-date model for $21.50/month. I Googled and saw it’s true.  But — here is the issue. 

My iPhone is under my bff’s account. He pays the fee each month. I’m assuming he has to place the order.  That’s fine. But,which model is best for me?  I’m disabled so hitting tiny buttons isn’t easy.  My hands aren’t steady but that’s minor. My eyes are bad so bigger is better — at least as far as text!  

My biggest issue is connectivity. I have WiFi at home but nothing else. He once gave me an AT&T Internet connection but said we had just ten hours a month at no extra charge. I can’t use my iPhone anywhere but at home.  So, if y’all recommend a watch and I get it for $21.50/month, how much is more time on your internet?  I don’t want to use his ten hours so would pay for more time, but  $$$ is ultra-limited. I’m not out much and would use maybe ten hours/600 minutes at the most per month.

How much would that cost me?  Disabled discount, senior discount (if 55 is acceptable), or indigent discount available?!

I‘m happy with AT&T so this could work out well for me. But, I need to ask ,— if I buy an Apple Watch elsewhere, and I add it to our plan, is the cost the same?  $21.50/month is higher than I want to spend if access is $10 or more in addition. . 

Thank you. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

3 y ago

@PurpleSquirrel

Sorry in advance, but my response is pretty abrupt and straight forward....

The watch alone is $21.50.  Service on it is another $12 with taxes.  

There is no discount for disabilities or senior or ‘indigent’  on those amounts.  Come on... a smart watch is a luxury item, you do not get a break on the cost.  I still work for a living and can’t justify the expense.  

If you only have internet access at home, you don’t have a data plan, which means you might be on prepaid.  You cannot use smart watch on prepaid.  You cannot but any device on payment plans on prepaid.  

The watch is small, so why would you want something too small for your hands and eyes to operate?  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 y ago

Thanks. I’m not on prepaid. I’m not on a payment plan. I’m in a group home and they pay when the bill comes in. I’m told I need to use a hotspot to connect outside of here and can use the watch then. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 y ago

Just was informed i don't need Hotspot. As long as i check Cellular Data in Settings, I'll be online. I'll test Tuesday.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

3 y ago

@PurpleSquirrel

You have a few things you need to consider aside from data access, which is required.

1.  This will add close to $35 a month to the bill.  

2.   You’re indicating vision and dexterity problems this device is not built to accommodate.

3.  A smartwatch needs to be synced with numbersync programming, that requires you have a user ID and password for your online account to connect the watch and phone.  If someone else is paying your bill, do you have this online access ID to sync the watch?  If not, it’s pointless to buy the cellular version and you should consider the Bluetooth version.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.