For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
RSFrith's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, September 10th, 2015 5:06 PM

Apple Financing & Ineligible for AT&T Upgrade Pricing

I still have 7 months until I'm eligible for "Upgrade" pricing with AT&T for the iPhone 6s; however, I would like to take advantage of Apple's new upgrade/financing program this month.  I will be staying with AT&T as my wireless carrier.  

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether or not I would have to pay a penalty to AT&T as a result of purchasing the new iPhone from Apple and using their financing?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@RSFrith wrote:

I still have 7 months until I'm eligible for "Upgrade" pricing with AT&T for the iPhone 6s; however, I would like to take advantage of Apple's new upgrade/financing program this month.  I will be staying with AT&T as my wireless carrier.  

Can anyone offer any insight as to whether or not I would have to pay a penalty to AT&T as a result of purchasing the new iPhone from Apple and using their financing?

While the Apple financing is all new, and therefore we can't say positively how AT&T will handle it, we can make some assumptions as to how it will probably be handled.

AT&T allows you to provide your own phone and change phoens as often as you like, as long as you aren't getting them through AT&T.  Based on this, if you purchase a phone from Apple, AT&T has nothing to say about that, and will likely treat it like you are just bringing in your own phone.  As long as you are paying Apple full price for it, AT&T doesn't care.  Keep in mind that if you are under a NEXT agreement with AT&T now, and you purchase a new phone from Apple, you are still responsibile for completing your current NEXT agreement.  That means that you may be paying for 2 phones at the same time for a while (up to about 30 months if you just started a new NEXT agreement).  

Also keep in mind that If you are under a NEXT agreement, there are 2 points of interest.  The "Upgrade" point, and the agreement completion point.  You can only take advantage of the "Upgrade" point if you purchase a replacement phone from AT&T at that time.  If you don't plan to purchase a new phone from AT&T, then you need to consider the full agreement completion point.  This is the point when you have paid off the full cost of the phone and you officially own it. If you purchase a new phone using the Apple financing, then any NEXT agreement you have active would need to be paid to the full completion point.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you, Jerry.  I am not currently under a NEXT agreement - so if AT&T lets me "bring my own device", then it would seem I could take advantage of Apple's new program.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

As long as you also understand you line fee will remain the same until your contract is complete.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This was exactly my question so thanks for posting. Searching google for hours and was unsure. Glad I found this and been doing the math... 

My question - If you swap out an AT&T purchased iPhone with the Apple does AT&T let you unlock the AT&T purchased?

Things I noted on the same - AT&T allows me to extend my contract and receive an early upgrade discount of $200 via AT&T site NOT the apple eligibility link to AT&T. I can unlock my iPhone 6 after 14 days of trade in. Their trade in value for the 6 was $320 currently and on ebay around $375-$450. Though the carrier will impose an upgrade fee. Excluding tax from the equation. 

iPhone 6s - $849

- Early Upgrade Discount - $200

- Unlocked phone - $375

+ Apple Care + - $149

+ Upgrade Charge - $45

$468+ tax 

Many are overlooking that apple has a 2 year commitment ($978). If I upgrade at year 1 ( $489 in payments) it resets the counter back to 0 thus until 2 years of having a phone I would have a payment, if I upgrade yearly I will always have a phone payment. 

iPhone 6S - Out of Pocket - $468 / Apple Finance - $480 and I end up owning the phone at the end allowing me to keep it for 12 or 24 months either way. 

Just my thoughts... It seemed great from the surface but if I considered the $299 subsidized costs it would be even more when adding in Apple Care+. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.