Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
M

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jan 19, 2021 6:36 AM

Activation Lock on old phone

I had an old iphone 6S, it was my grandson's and I upgraded him a couple of years ago. I went through the device and erased everything and reset as if to a new phone. It had not been active on my account for at least a year and was paid for through ATT so it was "unlocked". I gave the phone to a friend. She is telling me that it is locked by Apple! Apparently he had created his own apple id, logged it with it and now it has locked it somehow. Of course he is 13, so he doesn't remember WHAT the apple id was or the 6 digit code to get back into the phone. I have the IMEI number because I had taken a picture of it. Since it has been associated with my ATT account, can they help me get the phone unlocked or does Apple have to do it? She lives in a different state than I do, so it's not like we can go up to the Apple store together to resolve the issue in person. I realize that this is a "protection against theft issue", but holy moly, it's like fort know and several billion dollars worth of gold!! It's an old iphone 6S and she needs it!! Can anybody point me to the right direction! 

Responses

MR_SMiT

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

a month ago

@mikki_mills AT&T not going help you with "activation lock" of iPhone, and it has nothing to do with your AT&T account, or IMEI number. If you, or your grandson do not remember the Apple ID associated with "activation lock," your friend's iPhone is a brick, nothing can be done.

(edited)

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.9K Messages

a month ago

Does your grandson still have an iPhone? If so, he is probably using the same iCloud account on that phone. If so, that is the iCloud account that has the activation lock. Here are instructions on how to remove the 6s from his account: 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201441

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

a month ago

1) Also, since you are the original purchaser, you can contact Apple about removing the phone from iCloud, even though your grandson is the one who put the activation lock on it. But you do need to contact Apple and get proof of purchase to proceed.

2) Unless your friend is using AT&T or an AT&T mvno the phone is still carrier locked as well. Just because it's paid off does not automatically remove AT&T carrier lock oh, you have to request it online.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question