The new iPhone 15
M

• 

16 Messages

Saturday, January 16th, 2021 5:41 PM

activation in paris france

just transferred (2) iphones from verizon to my at and t account.  i sent new sims to them a month ago and they have been inserted.  the port transfer was a horrendous 6 week long slog between me, the daughter in paris, verizon and the worst of course being at and t.  i learned when calling the port transfer line that if a off shore voice answered, i hung up until i was on with an American.  poor connections and lack of knowledge-pretty horrible experience

so, with the transaction complete, the paris phones come up with AT and T but do not connect to the paris carriers.  any suggestions that we can use?   any settings?  when i traveled to paris a few years ago my at and t iphone worked fine....any suggestions will be appreciated.

TU

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

As for 'locked', you have to tackle Verizon.  AT&T cannot remove the lock. Verizon has to permit the unlock and Apple process. 

You might want to contact Apple with the IMEI of both phones and find out if Apple has any record of those phones being unlocked

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

i am confused.  when i travel internationally i would at times buy a data plan.  most of the time i kept roaming off so i could not connect via country's network but still get texts and voice.  i would wait til i got to the hotel and got on their wifi to download messages and usually skyped phone calls.

so, i would land in paris, kyoto or mex city turn my phone on and it would usually connect just fine.  if i chose to accept a call, i knew the per minute charges racked up pretty quick so used txt.  the next billing cycle would have these charges listed.  None of  these are prepaid phones .....what am i missing.................

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

lizdance

good idea with checking with apple

thx

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

I'm hitting my head on the wall:

There is a feature attached to all AT&T lines which in your My ATT account is labeled as" $0 travel pay-per-use". If this is not checked on a line, the phone has no roaming.

This is the 3rd time I've mentioned it.   Before we continue to go around and around would you please login to your account and check all features for travel and long-distance and make sure that travel pay-per-use has a check mark on both of the lines that are in Paris. If the circle is not checked, no roaming is possible with or without a paid roaming plan.

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Lizdance

thanks

the box for pay for use was checked, seems like this one check for the account covers all phones as i checked all phones and it indicated it was covered by pay for use.  will call att tomorrow to check......

sorry about the head banging

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

Thanks.  It’s not an account setting.  And it is off be default unless you add a roaming plan like passport or Travel day pass.    I have purposely turned it on and off during our travels as needed.  
Yes, I’m afraid it back to support.  

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

brief update.  my daughter in Paris called AT&T support directly.  the at&t person acknowledged the old Verizon phones now with new at and t sim cards was not locked.  he claimed he could see the phones connected (not sure how) they cannot see the paris mobile networks or wifi even though the at&t now shows up on their phones.  but they still did not work on the paris network.  this person jordan, opened up a technical call and escalated it up the chain, this was 2 weeks ago and now silent.  no callback, nada.

my daughter did contact the at&t military group, but they do not troubleshoot.  i called today, talked the intl group for 32 minutes, then was cut off.  this has happened more than once and they never call back.......why is that?

a quick question, the sims from at&t were sent to paris for each specific phone matched via the IMEI.  are the sim cards all the same? (iphone 6 or iphonex)  ie, is a sim phone specific?  on my account they say my daughter has an iphone 4 but she really has a iphone x.    i'm sure this question is as clear as mud.

anyhow, thanks for all the input, but unfortunately no progress.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

3 years ago

The only thing specific to a Sim is the phone number on it

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

This hopefully will be the final comment.  So, I finally had my daughter send her Iphone XR back to the USA.  As soon as I got it, turned it on and took a few minutes but hooked up with ATT and works great here.  TXT, data and phone.  I discussed with ATT intl and they guaranteed it would work like any ATT phone in Paris.......sending phone back tomorrow. So, whoever said the phone needed to be hooked up and initialized with the new ATT sim cards in the USA was correct.

Thank you Lizdance and Constructive for all of your input, now we know.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

Glad it worked out 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.