Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
M
marlinman112
#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

15 Messages

Sat, Jan 16, 2021 5:41 PM

activation in paris france

just transferred (2) iphones from verizon to my at and t account.  i sent new sims to them a month ago and they have been inserted.  the port transfer was a horrendous 6 week long slog between me, the daughter in paris, verizon and the worst of course being at and t.  i learned when calling the port transfer line that if a off shore voice answered, i hung up until i was on with an American.  poor connections and lack of knowledge-pretty horrible experience

so, with the transaction complete, the paris phones come up with AT and T but do not connect to the paris carriers.  any suggestions that we can use?   any settings?  when i traveled to paris a few years ago my at and t iphone worked fine....any suggestions will be appreciated.

TU

Responses

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

thanks for the quick post and will await answers from your colleagues.  the phones however should work via wifi?????

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

Wifi calling won't work because it has to be activated in the USA before you leave

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

please explain.  according to port transfer, once the new sims are installed, it should power up as at a t and connect anywhere?  i put in another post in another section about my experiences with this group, not good.  i was upfront about what i wanted to do and was told no problem, hence the changes were made.  thanks for any help.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

You have to confirm a e911 address for wifi calling and it uses the phones GPS and att towers to activate ..  none of those things are in Paris France.  Both carriers gave you bad info.

And as others have said you have to wait 60 days to roam on new accounts most times.  What phones are you working with.

(edited)

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

iphones 7 & 8.  only info i received was from AT and T port transfer group.  when you say new accounts, these phones were added to my existing 20 year at and t account.................

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

It's by line not the account.  It's a fraud thing.

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

hmmmmmmm, will call at and t monday.  as i said in an earlier post, if the experts  at AT&T don't have the knowledge to give to the customer, how can the customer expect to know........

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

Why would they?  Your request is like one in a million.

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

why wouldn't they?  aren't they the experts?    someone has to know and be the final judge and unfortunately me, like many, get stuck in endless frustrating calls with service providers.....and, if the person does not know the answer they need to find out, i have waited 20 minutes waiting for "the" answer.......fyi-financial institutions are just as bad, 

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

a month ago

aren't they the experts?  

Sure they are... 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

just a quick update and a "cry" for help.  i talked with at and t USA and they told me that the my daughters usa Verizon phones are locked (by verizon)  i conveyed this to my daughter in paris who called verizon USA and they told them the phones are NOT locked and free and clear and their acct has been shut down.  first, what does locked mean?  is there internal settings that have to be changed for the Verizon Iphone 7/8 to be able to work on another network?

-as mentioned above, when the usa att sims were installed in the paris phones the phones came up with att but would not connect to the local networks.  

-as someone suggested above that the phones have a waiting period, att told me that they do not have any waiting period.  att also told me that the phones should work like my phone does when i land and i connect onto the local network.

-at this point, i have suggested to my daughter to take the phone to the ATT store in Paris and ask for help with a solution, their is a Verizon store there also. 

-last resort, send phones back to the usa for trouble shooting, meanwhile i am paying for services i was promised would work.....oy vey

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

-they do have global business offices, perhaps not helpful but heck, why not at least call.....last  resort before returning phones to USA.  bad thing going through diplomatic pouch and usps is about 3-4 weeks.

thx for question

dwill05

Master

• 

4.9K Messages

a month ago

Not sure that I fully understand the scenario here.  Phones purchased from US AT&T come locked to US AT&T and are designed to be used in the US, and activated through AT&Ts US servers.

With the proper International roaming plans, they can be used outside of the US, but I’m not sure those plans are designed for long term roaming, and even if they do, are pretty expensive.  If the phones are intended to be used outside of the US for long periods of time, unlocking them is the way to go.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

a month ago

I'm going to respond in separate posts because I'm on mobile. 

IPhones are locked to Verizon for the first 60 days and then are supposed to be automatically unlocked.  The unlock process occurs in apple servers.  If they do not have access to Wi-Fi in France, then they are not connected to Apple servers and the phones cannot be unlocked.  Despite what Verizon claims, the unlock after 60 days has not been automatic on their phones. It doesn't happen to every phone, but the auto unlock is not 100%.

You may have no choice but to file an FCC complaint against Verizon yes connecting to Wi-Fi and apple are unsuccessful in unlocking the iPhones.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

a month ago

If I had a nickel for every time AT&T employee/call center was wrong about something - I wouldn't have to keep working.

There is a 60-day restriction that is based on your credit. Somebody with a great credit score and 850 with credit bureaus should not have restricted purchase options on AT&T.

But that doesn't always hold true. If AT&T decides to restrict your credit for the first 60 days, that would include the inability to purchase new phones with installments and to use roaming without a plan that reduces the cost.

If you have not added a roaming plan to the two lines that are currently in Paris, it is highly unlikely AT&T will allow pay per use on those lines until after 60 days. 

Have you added :

1) $0 travel pay per use?

2) AND travel day pass or passport?

Travel day pass does not charge you unless the service is used. Then it charges $10 per day plus tax for 24 hour.

Get started...

Ask a new question