Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
What is happening with 3G?
J

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Feb 3, 2020 4:44 PM

A simple issue, turned into a grand adventure.

A couple years ago, my sister purchased an IPhone 5 for me from Gamestop. Got an AT&T Prepaid plan and it's been smooth sailing up until a few days ago. I was finally going to upgrade to an IPhone X, even got to the point of swapping the SIM into the new phone. Turns out it was still locked to a Sprint account, so I abandoned that transaction with haste. However, upon putting my SIM into my old phone again, I noticed LTE was not working. Calls weren't being made. I discover my device has been "blocked from network use" as the automated voice tells me when I try to call anyone. I take it to the AT&T store, they have me on the phone with customer service. No progress there. Baton passed to store employees again. They "do some digging" and shockingly tell me that my phone was reported lost or stolen. Flabbergasted by the mere thought, I say there's no way that could be. The employee warns me of the shady practices involving used phones. (insert obligatory upsell situation) So, tail between my legs, I go home to investigate. I run the IMEI number on Swappa's free ESN/Blacklist checker...thingy. The website informs me this device is NOT reported lost or stolen, and is NOT on the blacklist. Now I don't know who to believe, or what to do even. Obviously my phone is not working, only contacting other IPhones when on wifi. Other than that it's a paperweight. Terrified to attempt purchasing another used phone, too poor to afford a new one (hence why I'm on Prepaid). So I come to you, oh wise community, what would YOU do in this predicament?

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

2 y ago

The iphone X was reported lost or stolen. (not the 5) Your sim card is now associated with the blacklisted phone. You will have to contact at&t to get them to revert your imei to the old phone.

They might even have to replace the SIM card for you. If you had them run the IMEI on your iPhone 5 it would have come up clean.

You will have to replace the iphone 5 soon. please select a more honest seller. swappa, or buy a discounted at&t prepaid phone

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

@lizdance40 That would make sense, beings how I had discovered the X was still locked to Sprint, plus it wasn't eligble for unlocking, which I've learned it either wasn't paid off, or the contract wasn't up, and as soon as I put my SIM in, bam. Now I'm connected. I appreciate your concern, I'm aware the 5 will be deadweight here shortly, so this was my attempt at finally upgrading. (I have great luck if you can't tell) I think I'm just going to start from scratch. New SIM, new phone, new plan. From a reputable source, of course! Thanks for taking the time to respond to this, I appreciate the assist.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

Just know you can keep your plan and keep your number. This is just a minor blip caused by a phone which had been blacklisted. It's no reflection on your current service.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
mobilemax

Employee

• 

797 Messages

2 y ago

Hello,

Call customer care at (Phone number hidden) to verify your IMEI is on file. It sounds like when inserted into the “sprint iPhone” it might have been blacklisted and therefore blocked your account. If your iPhone 5 is still the one registered, then they might have more details into why that is. Some places like GameStop can sell used or second hand phones, but idk why it woudlve flagged it all this time later. Seems to be tied to the iPhone X you put your sim in.

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

At last, the conclusion to this journey. After confirming the X (Sprint Phone) was the blacklisted phone, and the 5 (AT&T Phone) was the good phone, and determining the X had indeed associated my SIM with it, I was going to attempt keeping my number by just getting it reverted back to associating with the 5. I had neglected to remember years ago when my old phone broke, my sister had not only purchased this 5, but also it's prepaid kit because she felt bad for me [and she's the best sister ever]. So with the account originally being in her name, and her being in the hospital right now, I could not keep my number unfortunately. But! I got a new SIM, new number, and the rep even waived the activation fee. I even got to tweak my plan a bit so I'm only paying for what I actually use, and my bill is 20 dollars cheaper! Now the next step is saving up for a new phone because now that we are on Iphone 11, and 12 is probably right around the corner knowing Apple, I think it's fair to say the 5 is a bit outdated! Thank you to Liz for bringing some clarity to the situation, and thanks to anyone who responded. Let this be a lesson for anyone who's about to buy a new (used) phone. Please, run the IMEI number before doing ANYTHING with a device that you plan on getting. It takes literally 2 minutes and it's a free service with Swappa. Doing it could save you a week's worth of headaches.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

Good advice.
It doesn't work for everyone as sometimes blacklisting can be delayed by months.
Glad we could shed light, and you landed on your feet.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.