Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
Neurobit

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

Mon, Sep 9, 2019 12:58 PM

2019 iPhone 11 Ordering Thread

It's that time of year again!!!

It's widely believed that 'Pro' successors to the iPhone XS, the iPhone XS Max and the iPhone XR are in the cards.

Let's get this thread started so we can keep track of ordering issues, etc.

If Apple follows past iPhone schedules, pre-orders for the new iPhones could begin on Friday, September 13, and a launch could follow on Friday, September 20.

Cheers,

Neurobit

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

5 months ago

@dwill05 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76  I’m not writing off Touch ID just yet.  Various articles indicate that Apple may be trying to bring it back, in conjunction with Face ID.  

https://bgr.com/2019/09/09/iphone-12-features-touch-id-coming-back-maybe/

Personally, I hate Face ID.  It’s less reliable for me than Touch ID for me and hardly seems more secure since you can open the phone with a passcode anyway.  I recently got a new iPad and chose the Air over the Pro just because the Air still had Touch ID.  I can easily afford to wait to see what shows up next year.  If no Touch ID, then so be it.  If it comes back in 2020, than I’ll be glad to have waited.

@dwill05 

I am writing touch ID off as we know it.  Under the screen FP will come to iPhone I am sure but after using it on a note 10 and s10 series phones it needs work.  I have never had a problem with FaceID since the X.  But everyone millage may very.  TouchID also had passcodes.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dwill05

Master

• 

3.7K Messages

5 months ago

Never said that Touch ID didn’t have passcodes.  My point is one of the things Apple plays up with the superiority of Face ID is that it’s more secure, but since you can unlock with a passcode, it’s no more secure than that technology, that’s older than either Touch ID or Face ID.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

I was able to preorder mine at 6:50am CST. I was in some waiting room with At&t! I was done with the preorder by 7:01 am CST. I ordered the 256 space grey pro max! Says it should be delivered by Thursday the 19th!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

I want to pay off the iPhone that I have now so that way I can buy the iPhone 11 but I want to make payments on it. Can I still pre order do I have to pay full price for pre ordering?

Phil_GA

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

5 months ago

Or, you do what we're going to do, and save the difference on two lines from current 24-month plan versus 30-month plan, "pay off" the 50% if upgrading, and off you go.

Then again, this does require the discipline to take the extra money and save it.

But, this is definitely one way to deal with not paying any more than 12 months into a phone even with a 30-month plan.

Phil_GA

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

5 months ago

In the past, AT&T has either made folks take out AT&T's own insurance policy in order to get a "like model" phone to be turned in to replace the existing model, or pay for the balance of the contract.

At the end of the day, per the terms, AT&T needs either money or a similar device in order to forgive the balance of the plan. That part definitely hasn't changed.

akoxeno

Scholar

• 

144 Messages

5 months ago

Just like my iPad Pro 3, I ordered my iPhone XI Pro (space grey 256GB) directly from Apple. I wanted their plan and Apple Care, etc. However, AT&T managed to charge a $30 upgrade fee on a line that has been ready for an upgrade for well over 1 year.

This morning I flew from South America to the USA. I was sitting on a plane in ATL at 8 am wondering if the flight would leave early. However, having done the pre-authorization with Apple yesterday it was painless and quick to place my order.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

5 months ago

@Phil_GA wrote:

In the past, AT&T has either made folks take out AT&T's own insurance policy.  At&t does not insure phones.  Asurion does. And Asurion provides insurance through all carriers. They are not owned by AT&T or any of the other carriers they are independent.

in order to get a "like model" phone to be turned in to replace the existing model, or pay for the balance of the contract.

. . . In order to upgrade. 

At the end of the day, per the terms, AT&T needs either money. NOT At&t.  Asurion bills through carriers,  much like many people have their insurance and property taxes billed through their mortgage company. This is done so that Asurion can verify that you actually owned the phone and used it right up until the point that you made a claim. 

or a similar device in order to forgive the balance of the plan.  UMM, no.   No carrier forgives the balance on your installment plan. You receive a replacement phone for the original one that was lost stolen or broken. You also continue to make all payments for the installment just like you did on the original phone. 

That part definitely hasn't changed.  It wasn’t that way in the first place.  

Equate this to a car:   Can you buy a car and let’s say you have a $200 a month loan installment payment every month. You get into an accident and the insurance company pays to have your car repaired less a $500 deductible. Does this mean you now no longer have to pay the loan?   No of course not, you need to continue paying for the car because you still out in the car. 

This is the same.   It is not AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint’s fault if you lose or break your phone. You are still obligated to complete the payments that you agreed to make to them. 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

5 months ago

@akoxeno 

The only way to get out of that $30 upgrade fee is to upgrade through Apple as a prepaid customer. Or paid full price. Otherwise your new device is coming with an AT&T Sim card which is where your 30 buck charge comes from.  

No sim, no charge

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

5 months ago

@darkstar710 wrote:

I was one of the ones that assumed that I was still on the Next 24 plan and upgrade every 12 months.  I found out today that I am on the Next 30 plan and have to pay off 80% of the phone to be eligible to upgrade (I have to pay $541 to be eligible).  I am thinking of just going with Apple now for the yearly upgrades.  I would like to do the trade in today with Apple.  I will get $600 for my XS Max as a trade in.  Does anyone know if I can do this while still paying At&t on the Next 30 for the iPhone I am trading in?

That’s because the name of the plans is confusing.

The name of the plans were next every year, and you could upgrade in 12 months or 50%. 

Or next 24 which had 30 payments and you could upgrade after 24 payments for 80% paid off 

The new installment plans through AT&T are 15 months with a five dollar a month fee, or 30 months and you must pay it off 100%. I suggest everyone upgrade with Apple instead. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

5 months ago

@GLIMMERMAN76   I know we are talking the difference between Apple and kumquats here but face ID has always been a fail with all the android phones that I have used. I do wear frameless eyeglasses and that may be the problem. Touch ID on the 1+6t works perfectly    

I am dreading the pixel 4 if they don’t have fingerprint unlock.  The spot on the back works so well. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

5 months ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76   I know we are talking the difference between Apple and kumquats here but face ID has always been a fail with all the android phones that I have used. I do wear frameless eyeglasses and that may be the problem. Touch ID on the 1+6t works perfectly    

I am dreading the pixel 4 if they don’t have fingerprint unlock.  The spot on the back works so well. 

@lizdance40 

Android has never had a sensor like the one apple uses for faceid is the problem.

Neurobit

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

5 months ago

lizdance40

GM is spot on.

FaceID on iOS is pretty flawless. It doesn't matter if you wear glasses or a hat. It will still unlock almost immediately. If you are lumping android's implementation with FaceID, than you really don't know what you're talking about. They're not even in the same league.

Also, just because it uses passcode as a fallback, that means nothing. You can set an alphanumeric passcode with as many characters as you want and make it as secure as you'd like. It really means squat. FaceID is about 20x more secure than TouchID. Do the research.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.2K Messages

5 months ago

@Neurobit    Since I don’t use iPhones how would I?    I have used an iPhone twice both times for just a couple of days, did not like the experience either time.   

dwill05

Master

• 

3.7K Messages

5 months ago

People can talk about how great Face ID works for them all they want, but in my experience, it almost never works when I’m lying down, either on my stomach or on my back.  I have to be standing or sitting up for it to work reliably.  YMMV.

When Face ID fails, I have to use the passcode.  Is passcode more or less secure than either Face ID or Touch ID?  If passcode is less secure, then Face or Touch ID security is irrelevant since you can get into the phone with passcode to override the ID fails.  Face or Touch ID are simply more convenient than punching in a passcode.