Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
boobookitty0104's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 1st, 2014 7:46 AM

Wireless Abroad?

Hello. I'm an American preparing to live abroad in Korea for several months, trying to figure out what to do with my Samsung Galaxy S4 while I'm traveling. Previously, on shorter trips to European countries, I brought it with me and enabled flight mode for the duration of the trip so that I could avoid AT&T's roaming charges and utilize wifi connectivity. Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this again, as Google Maps and the Translate app would be extremely useful. However, as I may be gone for up to a year, I'm considering removing myself from the family's plan for the duration of my stay abroad and adding myself back on when I return home. Basically I'm wondering if the wifi connectivity on my Android will even work without AT&T's affiliated data plan. Does anyone know?

Also expat blogs seem to unanimously agree that it is impossible to put a Korean sim card in an American-bought phone, even a Samsung, so alternately I'll take any other suggestions about what to do with my phone, as I'm still trying to work it all out.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

If you're going to be out of the country for almost a year I'd remove yourself from the family plan. Trying to use a phone outside of the USA just causes headaches. Your wifi will still work as long as your have an access point nearby to connect to. Most people who go outside of the USA rely on Skype, KIK, or Pinger to keep in contact with people.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

10 years ago

As skyline said, Wi-Fi will function without any cell service. A couple of tips -- Google translate can run in offline mode, which you will find useful when you don't have Wi-Fi hotspot nearby (but you need to set it up beforehand, while on the network). And Google maps can be made to cache the map for offline use as well. There are also fully offline map and navigation solutions, such as MapDroyd, NavDroydOsmAnd Maps & Navigation, etc.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Who is the one tell you that it is impossible to put a Korean sim card in an American-bought phone, even a Samsung??
 As long as your phone is unlocked,you can put any SIM card in and use their service!!
Your phone will work with any Korea Network on 2G.
 You will need 3G UMTS 2100
 4G LTE 850/900/1800/2100

My Samsung Note 3 bought in USA works in North America,Caribbean,EU,Asia (Hong Kong, China,Taiwan,Japan ,Korea) most of the time in 4G!!
 I do not understand why your's cannot if you can get it unlocked!!!

By the way,you DO NOT need any SIM card inside your S4 to use any WiFi around the world .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.