Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
M

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Oct 26, 2020 3:41 AM

Will AT&T support Xperia 5 II VoLTE & Wifi Calling?

Sony is launching the Xperia 5 ii this December. On the Sony product page, it says that ATT will be supported. Will ATT whitelist the Xperia 5 ii for VoLTE so the phone will still be functional on the network in Feb 2021 when they shut down 3g? It isn't currently on the VoLTE whitelist, can I call to provision manually?

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

a month ago

If it's not on the list plan on it not working.  Volte may work wifi calling is never goimg to work.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to contact ATT to provision a phone manually for VoLTE? The phone has Volte for Verizon & tmobile/Sprint, so surely it's just an artificial limitation on ATT's end... By saying 'may' work, is there any way to confirm that now (before 2021?)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.4K Messages

a month ago

No.

I AT&T cannot and will not make an exception just for you. The only way this happens is if Sony and AT&T iron out a deal where a AT&T is allowed to put their voice over LTE a provisioning on Sony’s phone by way of an update. There is a rumor Sony and AT&T are working on this and that some Sony phones may be excepted in the future.

Sony wash their hands of the US markets and dealing with US cell phone carriers quite some time ago. Even if AT&T and Sony agree to voice over LTE you will not get Wi-Fi calling on that phone.   

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
joeldf

ACE - Guru

• 

548 Messages

a month ago

If the device hasn't even launched yet, AT&T won't have anything to say about it yet. They may have no problem supporting VoLTE, as they do have quite a few unlocked phones on their "supported" list now.  But it's not like it's a daily updated list.  The next updated list may not be out for several more months - or, it could be out tomorrow. Just can't know.

But, AT&T will likely have to keep up with new phones as they are released because other carriers certainly will.  It's one of the marketing pushes that some carriers use - being able to fully support VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on unlocked phones. Eventually, even AT&T will have to allow both features on at least some unlocked BYODs. When that will be... who knows.

- Joel
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

a month ago

Att supports wifi calling on more BYOP then it did last year.  I really am surprised they don't support wifi calling on the Samsung U1 phones.

The list of phones is updated monthly now. Or at least that has been the case for the last 3 months.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf

Thanks for the replies. You had mentioned that the list has been updated every month for the past 3 months - am I looking at the wrong list? This is what I see linked off the byod page, it's about 2½ months old.

It does seem a bit deceptive on Sony's end to claim support for ATT, even though it's possible the phone can't make a call in a little over a year.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.4K Messages

a month ago

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Get started...

Ask a new question