The Samsung Galaxy S24
notacyborg's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 5:28 PM

Visual Voicemail on Galaxy S3

I have an issue with my Galaxy S3 that perhaps can be resolved here.  I already tried calling support, but they were next to useless as their information was apparently outdated.

Backstory:

I purchased a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket back in November 2011.  This to my knowledge was the first Android phone I have had on at&t (previous phone was a Captivate) that included the Visual Voicemail app.  I was happy for this as I previously had an iPhone and missed the feature (ended up using Google Voice and later YouMail to restore this functionality).  Anyway, used this up until this month when I acquired a Galaxy S3.  Again, it had the Visual Voicemail app on it.  Set it up, worked great.  Only problem was they only had the blue phone and I really wanted the white phone.  So my wife was eligible for an upgrade and she prefers blue anyway so we went down and picked up a white phone, did some swapping and voila, got the phone I wanted, no big deal.  It's also a Galaxy S3.  While we were in the store I mentioned to them that my wife's voicemail never worked.  They checked on it and fixed her access whlie we were there.  i went ahead and setup the Visual Voicemail app on her phone and things were good.  Went to set it up on mine and it never work.  It goes through the process of setting it up and then fails to verify me.  One curious thing to note was that while the first S3 included the app, the second one did not.  It is available on the Play Store for download since it's apparently an eligible device.  Both phones included the at&t Messages app.  When I called support they said that the Messages app is what I am supposed to be using.  Messages works, but I hate it because it hijacks the SMS system.  It basically prevents the default SMS program from receiving text notifications.  I just want plain simple visual voicemail.  Is there any way to fix this problem without resorting back to Google Voice or YouMail again?  I don't understand why at&t has to make something so complicated.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I had teh exact same problem and after a half dozen attepmts to get Visual Voicemail to work I finally gave up and am just using the messaging app.  The ONLY nice thing about it is that it does attempt to convert the voice to text.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Use this for Visual Voicemial....works GREAT! It also doesnt interfere with anything

HulloMail Visual Voicemail

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hullomail.messaging.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5odWxsb21haWwubWVzc2FnaW5nLmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

Yea, I did notice it transcribes to text which is attractive, but still, just not a fan of integrating with SMS.  Ah well.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

12 years ago

I had the same issue with my S3. Took to an AT&T store, the rep said my VM was provisioned incorrectly. I walked out with it working. VVM wasn't included with my phone either. The only weird thing is that it did work on your line before the swap.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

@notacyborg wrote:

Yea, I did notice it transcribes to text which is attractive, but still, just not a fan of integrating with SMS.  Ah well.

This doesnt integrate with SMS, atleast not when i have been using it....it only works as a Visual voicemail

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

12 years ago

@smooth4lyfe wrote:

@notacyborg wrote:

This doesnt integrate with SMS, atleast not when i have been using it....it only works as a Visual voicemail

Sorry, meant in regards to the at&t Messages application.  It transcribes the voicemail to text which is a nice feature, however it also integrates your SMS messages into it as well.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hey guys, I found the easy and very simple way to get the Visual Voicemail setup.

1- If you have downloaded the VVM app then you MUST delete it (You will re-download the app in step 4 below)

2- Open Messages app in the Apps store then run the Setup but DO NOT tap "Skip". 

3- Let it Sync by itself for while & nothing to worry about

4- Go to Play Store and Download the Visual VoiceMail app then open it. It takes only seconds to get it done.

That's all I did and it works GREAT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Could you explain Step two a little more I'm a newbie to smartphones What do you mean by app store? Do you mean the play store? My phone was originally a T-Mobile phone and we changed to AT&T I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, the Play Store is what he's referring to.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have the Galaxy S2 and I am having problems retreiving my visual voicemail. The app came with the phone and I have been using it from the beginning but for the past several weeks it won't let me get my messages. Sometimes it won't even let me see them. If I do see them and try to open one the screen goes black for about 30 seconds and then an error message appears that says "unfortunetly visual voicemail has stopped working" I have to say ok in order to go back to my home screen and I never get the voicemail messages. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.