Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
joehkc

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

Wed, Jan 18, 2012 6:36 PM

Upgrade Captivate to Gingerbread

My captivate is running 2.2 at the present. From viewing posts, it looks like there has been a Gingerbread upgrade available, although not without problems. I wasn't notified of this one by ATT like I was with Froyo, and a mini kies program was pushed to me. Is there a 2.3 upgrade available, and would anyone recommend upgrading to it? My Froyo works flawlessly, but I understand battery usage/management and task management is better with Gingerbread.

Thanks...Joe

Responses

joehkc

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

8 years ago

Sorry, my bad, it's the tetheringmanager application. Sometimes when plugging into a computer usb, and occasionally when plugging into my charger, the Tethering Manager will pop up on the home screen and I have to force stop. It's very occasionally, and I understand that this is not all that unusual after on a Galaxy S phone after the 2.3.5 update. Yes, it would be the software that controls the for fee tethering to a pc.

lhbanchik

Mentor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

To me the whole upgrade issue is moot.

Kies mini seems to require a 32 bit Windows machine with full admin privileges.  I don't know about you but I have no access to a machine like that.

I have a Win7 machine but it's 64 bit & 2 macs none of which can run Kies mini.

I went directly to the Samsung update site & they confirmed this (Gingerbread update for Captivate).

So now what do I do?

I can find 32 bit machines but none in places like my local Library but none of them allow admin access for the installation of the drivers.

I guess I'm stuck with Froyo until it's time to update to a new device.

morechof

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

8 years ago

Not true about win32. I used win 7 64bit for froyo and gingerbread upgrades using kies. No isseues. My only issue with gingerbread is my phone now locks up after 2 to 3 days of use!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I upgraded two days ago and am also having troubles.  Mine gets the pop up that tetheringmanager has failed and needs to force stop as well as a couple of others that I have not taken much note of unfortunately.  I don't use tethering and the error usually comes up on boot.  My phone will go from full bars to no signal when I am on a call after a couple of minutes and disconnect.  If I am on a call and try to go to the internet, the battery will fall to 0 and the phone shuts off.  I can plug it in and turn it back on the the battery will show an almost full charge and the phone will be fine again.  Has anyone found a resolution other than factory reset and reinstall?

I do love the new features.  One thing I miss is being able to double tap on a word and have it select the whole word instead of coming up with a menu asking if I want to select the word, cut the word, etc.  Some apps dont even show that and I have to move the blue arrow to the end of the word and delete it and hand type the word instead of being able to swype it again.  Is that a setting somewhere that I can turn back on?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Factory reset did not work Smiley Mad.  I have searched everywhere and can figure out either how to fix it or how to go back to froyo.  As far as I can tell, I am totally out of luck. Please does anyone have another suggestion?  If not guess I'll go phone less for 3 weeks and send back to Samsung to reimage.  One thing I suggest is to NOT upgrade to Gingerbread yet.  Wait for a few more updates and be sure to check posts from the brave who try it first.