The Samsung Galaxy S24
Man1234567890's profile

3 Messages

Sunday, November 26th, 2023 5:41 AM

Unexplained Phone malfunctions/interference

Hello att support/public defenders,

I am currently experiencing internet redirects, graphics lags, large data usage spikes, and phone static during calls. Also, my phone apps have not been functioning correctly. Sometimes I dont get notifications for things that are important even though I have updated everything, and ran both google play protect scan/upgraded active armor. I have been experiencing these things for a while. I upgraded the att active armor and use it consistently. Regardless of these provided protections, my phone will not stop and operate consistently as it should. Strangely, as soon as I put it in safe mode some events stop. I still cannot do what I need to without 3rd party apps I got through google play/Samsung store ONLY. What do I do? During the 1st month of using the phone, I started experiencing these things. I replaced the phone under warranty and it resumed within 1 week of me updating it. My google, gmail, and youtube have specifically been getting effected in ways that I dont understand. It's as if someone else keeps using it even though google security is fully functional and setup to alert me. If at&t cannot guarantee my privacy and safety, I will be switching regardless of the fee. I'm not accepting harrassment from anyone. Thank you for any time you spend or answers you can give. I have involved the att fraud department at this point because my account keeps acting affected as well, and I am waiting for there response.  I completely feel like I am being scammed with the money I'm paying.  Please help me!

I am using a Samsung galaxy 22 and everything is up to date according to the phone update selection and google play.

Thank you

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

5 months ago

This forum is mostly other customers. Occasionally the official "help" team might join a discussion but not guaranteed. For official tech support you call aT&T as normal. And there are no public defenders or any other legal medium in this forum.

If this is happening even before there are 3rd party apps on the phone, and has happened with another of the same model, that suggests a software issue for that model or one of the built-in apps. If so then nothing will fix it until the developers of the phone and software update it with a fix. If you need to change phones or providers, do what you must.

Your privacy and safety are only affected if you download sketchy 3rd party apps or go to compromised websites. Assuming that is not your situation, then this is a software problem.

3 Messages

5 months ago

Thank you for your quick response juniper. I said "public defender" because it's my understanding the "community" is unpaid, and yet they still look out for each other. That to me is a "public defender". I had the previous device replaced after speaking with at&t, asurion, and Samsung. They all confirmed that what I was explaining to them was not normal. It was still within 30 days of purchase, so they were more than onboard for replacing it. They got the device I had. It was my understanding they were going to "learn" from it or check it out. I'm not really sure what the result was. I did not hear from them again about it. I will have to speak with samsung again. Maybe, they can shine some light on the situation if it's a known problem. I was not exaggerating when I worded all of this. I do not download from anything outside of Google play or Samsung store and the exact reason is self protection from unknown sources. I don't open links I don't know, or check out first. I have done everything that is in my control since losing that 1st phone.

Thank you again juniper for your insight. This has been a very frustrating experience that I have never dealt with before. If you or anyone else think of more, I welcome it. Since I have tried a hard reset on the phone, and still had the issue, I'm not very hopeful. It really does feel like someone set me up for failure by giving me faulty technology. I'm pretty sure I received a refurbished, used, compromised device containing rootkit malware that I cannot get rid of without doing as much work as replacing a phone. I hope others do not wind up in this situation. I certainly never asked for this or to recieve fraud technology.

ACE - Expert

• 

32K Messages

5 months ago

Well "community" is just the verbiage the website uses for all posters. You are part of that same community so applies to you as well. Only the official help team, and forum moderators, are actually paid to provide official support. Some workers do contribute on their free time (tagged as "employee") which is off the clock so not getting paid but supposedly gives a bit more validity to their guidance.

The extreme thing to check at this point would be a full factory reset of the phone. Do not download any apps, even through the store (in case one of those is the culprit because of a software issue). Then you could see about updating a single app at a time and then testing again. That would in theory find the problem app. Don't forget to check if the phone itself (OS) has an update.

Replacement phones are normally refurbished, but that doesn't mean there is malware. I feel that is more jumping to conclusions as you don't have a solid answer on what the actual issue is. Personally I have had sub-standard experiences with Samsung devices, including a co-worker where his refused to let the Bluetooth stay off no matter what he did. Others have no issues with theirs, so I suspect there may be a quality control issue with some Samsung devices but not an issue across the board.

3 Messages

5 months ago

I hope you're right juniper. I'm certainly not confident in phones anymore. If I agree to pay a 36month fee for a phone, it is unsaid that the party ensures full safe function of the device without invasion. I was not purposely pointing anywhere accept at the facts. I received a "samsung" phone from "AT&T". If things don't add up, it's "common sense" to look at all variables involved. This situation is the second time someone has used the word "verbiage" to me recently and I admittedly don't know the full meaning. I will educate myself on this after posting. I mean nothing except the best in anything said or written. I apologize if something feels off. I do not feel safe using my phone now for even simple things. If it isnt malware, its invasion of privacy on "false information" from police. No one else has the power to do such things unless its corruption in AT&T itself. Thank you again for your insights, and all the words of encouragement. Moments ago, while writing this, my service went off and on for no clear reason to me. This tells me that whatever it is might have left. Either way, I hope others don't fall victim to scams or intrusions like this. People have a right to safety when they go out of there way to make everyone they encounter safe. I am 1 of those unless they take my safety away. 

As was said before, if anyone has more insight, I welcome it. Happy holiday's to all. Juniper, I thank you again for your time and help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 months ago

Brand new phones don't come with a bunch of malware on them. It has to be downloaded from somewhere.

internet redirects, graphics lags, large data usage spikes, and phone static during calls.

None of your complaints indicate the phone has been hacked or compromised.  There have been reports that the most recent S22 update was buggy. Not compromised, just faulty. I'm having no problem with mine but mine is unlocked, so my updates come directly from Samsung, not through AT&T.  The next update should patch the buggy issues.

Assuming that this isn't a faulty restore, a defective device, a bad update and poor coverage...

There's plenty of antivirus software out there, add Norton to the device and let it sort it out. (I am not a fan of AT&T's virus protection software)

I strongly discourage paranoid ideas like 'someone's tapped my phone' because that is absolute nonsense unless there's a good reason for the federal government or  police to be watching you. It just makes one sound nutty.  

If you two-factor authenticate all your social media, email, and all of your other accounts, there's absolutely no reason to be concerned.   

FYI the security of the device is and its contents is entirely on you. AT&T is your cellular service provider, not your cybersecurity force.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.