Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
The Samsung Galaxy S23
ssween828's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 4th, 2014 3:05 PM

Unable to Receive MMS Messages from Verizon Users

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm having an issue recently on my Google Nexus 5. The phone's configuration has not changed, so I'm assuming this is a network issue.

When a user on Verizon sends me an MMS message (iPhone or Android - doesn't matter) there is only a ~20% chance that it will come through. I will end up with an "image", but it's just a gray box. Other times they will come through perfectly.

I have tried changing my texting app between GoSMS Pro, Textra, and Hangouts with no resolution - the same issue presents in all cases. I even went so far as to swap my SIM into my Moto G that I use for work, and the same issue is presenting itself.

I'm assuming that something is up with the AT&T servers that are processing the image resize, as Verizon sends and recieves MMS at 1200KB per photo, whereas AT&T is capped at 600KB. I have other friends on AT&T who have shared that they're having the exact same issue over the past several weeks, so we did a test. The issue is not present from AT&T to AT&T, Verizon to Verizon, or AT&T to Verizon. It only occurs when an Verizon phone sends to an AT&T phone.

So my questions are 1) Is anyone else having this issue, 2) If anyone else is having it, have you been able to resolve it, and 3) Is there any way to tell if the issue is on AT&T's servers or Verizon's?  

Thanks!

-Sean

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have also been experiencing this issue since I activated my Nexus 5 back in February. I sporadically do not receive MMS messages from Verizon users, and most of my family is on Verizon. It is very frustrating, especially in group texts.

jusuni, you mentioned in your post that the AT&T rep that you talked to told you that it is a known problem, and that until Google updates the phone with a new version, the problem would persist. Was she referring to when Google updates our phone to Android 5.0 Lollipop, that it would fix the problem?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My problem as well. On Android latest(4.2). I can receive text but not images (MMS). I get a beep indicating an incoming message but nothing appears.

In this case the sender is not on Verizon, but on Sprint.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm also having the same problem. Sister has Verizon, I'm AT&T. All of a sudden I no longer get her texts but she gets mine. Have no idea why. Help appreciated. Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Wow... so I'm not crazy!  Truly, I'm only receiving about 1 in 5 MMS (picture) messages sent to me.  I checked and sure enough, the other person has Verizon.  I wonder whether I'd still have this issue if I switched my phone to T-Mobile service?  At this point, I'd be willing to try it!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I've been having the same for issue with not receiving ANY messages regardless of the other person's network. I have a BLU 5.** phone... Have you been able to resolve this problem?
Tracey

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I figured the problem out

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Have the Verizon carrier go to settings networks and put their phone on GSM, LTE,UMTS network!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.