#1 Star!
Helpful 1
10th stratosphere!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Sat, Mar 18, 2017 5:30 PM

Unable to receive MMS messages from some people

I'm unable to receive MMS messages from some people. I'm using an unlocked Moto Z Play and the stock/standard Google Messages App on Android 6 Marshmallow and just upgraded to Android 7 Nougat. Still having the problem. It tells me I have received a message, but it says "unable to download, touch to try again." I can retry over and over and nothing will download. Tried wiping the cache partition and tried a factory reset. Using APN settings provided by an AT&T rep. My hunch is that because the Moto Z Play doesn't natively support AT&T's "advanced messaging," the problem is from users who have a phone with advanced messaging turned on, and there is some "advanced messaging" code tacked onto the MMS that Android doesn't know what to do with, so it's preventing the message from being displayed because it thinks the message hasn't completely downloaded. Can someone at AT&T Tech Support test this? I've been an AT&T subscriber for a decade, but I love the Moto Z Play and it's INSANE battery life, and Verizon offers the phone on their network. I don't want to switch to Verizon and accept the bloatware (hence the purchase of an unlocked phone with stock Android), but I may have to if I can't get MMS to work correctly. I use the phone for work, and "hey sorry I didn't receive your message" isn't​ acceptable when I have to use MMS to communicate with colleagues. Please help! Has anyone else experienced this?
soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 y ago

Apparently I can now receive MMS picture messages directly from people who i previously could not receive MMS messages from. But i still can't receive group MMS from affected users.
soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 y ago

Spoke with an AT&T rep yesterday who is sending me a new SIM card to see if that helps.
soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 y ago

Received the sim card, activated it and put it in my phone last night​. I did notice that I received a text later that night that could not be displayed. It simply shows up as "Unknown sender" and says "Message not found" when you open the conversation. Bizarre. It also did that before I put in the new sim when a friend with an iPhone 7+ on AT&T sent me a picture message a few days ago (I was standing right by him when he sent it, and my phone did this immediately). Also received an update to Google Carrier Services today, so hopeful that fixes something. Sounds like Google knows there is an issue and is pushing updates, so that's good news.
David4749

Employee

• 

120 Messages

5 y ago

That's great news soxuga please keep this post updated with any info as you get it!  Thanks again!

soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 y ago

Just got another text that came through as "Unknown sender," and when you open the conversation it shows "message not found." It used to show the undisplayed message in the conversation from the sender, but apparently it's not even doing that anymore, so I can't even reach out to the sender and let them know I had a message that didn't come through.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y ago

my LG G4 phone worked great with Straight talk switched to AT&T now I can't receive any pictures or group messages Has anyone had any luck on a fix ????? Bob G

soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

5 y ago

Sorry to hear that, but yours sounds like a different issue if it's an across-the-board problem. Dial 611 and ask for them to give you the correct APN settings.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

Hi soxuga,

Were you able to get this resolved?  I have been experiencing this exact issue for the last week (or more) - I have been unable to receive MMS messages *ONLY* from certain contacts.  I can receive images from a number of my friends, but there are 3 that I can receive SMS from, but not MMS, and AT&T has been unable to pinpoint the problem after hours of troubleshooting (and them presumably making changes and having me reboot my phone many times).

It's maddening and I am losing patience.

soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

4 y ago

I certainly understand that. Especially if you got the same answer I did - "AT&T will troubleshoot/guarantee VOICE, but not TEXT." Ridiculous given how often people text vs. call these days. What phone and Android version do you have? Which app are you using to text?  I'm using an unlocked Moto Z Play with Android 7.1.1

The best I could determine, it has something to do with "advanced messaging" (RCS) features enabled on a sender's phone, and seems to be especially prevalent if the sender is using a Samsung Galaxy, but I could never reliably recreate it.

After reading a ton, and following all AT&T's instructions (including a factory reset), the problem still existed. I did switch to Textra for my default messaging app, and that seems to have resolved the issue. However, I never really isolated the exact conditions that would create the problem, so I have no real way to verify that. Nobody has said "hey man, did you get my message? You never responded." I'd say switch to Textra and see if that makes it better.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 y ago

Thanks for the quick response.  I am using an iPhone 6S with the Messages app.  I've had the phone over 2 years and this problem just started happening about a week ago, from what I can assume.  My carrier is AT&T, and the 3 people who can't send me MMS's all have Androids (2 Pixels and 1 something else).  Did a new Android version come out recently I wonder?

One of my friends with a Pixel went through a long live chat troubleshooting the problem from their end, switching to multiple carriers, rebooting into safe mode for who knows what, and after everything still no change.

For what its worth, I moved my sim over to my friend's backup iPhone and the problem persisted from the same few contacts.  The problem is at least reproducible 100% from these contacts, and thankfully I can still get regular SMS from them or this would be an even bigger disaster.

One last interesting tidbit:  the ATT website does log MMS's received by contact numbers, and some of these phantom MMS send attempts by my friends are showing up in this list, which implies two things to me:  1) not all of their MMS attempts to my number are being logged by ATT (maybe they aren't even being received by ATT?) and 2) the ones that do make it to ATT never make it to my phone.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll troubleshoot a bit more with advanced messaging settings and maybe even changing text message apps.

soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

4 y ago

Are your friends' phones unlocked/purchased retail, or were they purchased directly from a carrier?  Before switching to Textra, I did have a few people tell me they didn't get a picture I sent, despite numerous send attempts.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

This issue has been bothering me for days. I switched to Textra and had one person send me an image that didn't come through before and it did. I was excited to finally get MMS again, but tested it with one other person and their image never came through....even after switching ti Textra, so switching you texting app is not a guarantee solve. 

soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

4 y ago

Yeah, everything seemed to work fine until I got an update to Carrier Services recently, and after that I did seem to experience the issue where it looks like I received an MMS from someone with no phone number, but the message just says "message not found." Super frustrating because I'm pretty sure someone sent me an MMS, but there is no way to retrieve it

soxuga

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

4 y ago

FWIW, when I used Google Hangouts or Android Messages, it would say "tap to download message" or "message not downloaded, touch to retry" but it would never display, no matter how many times I tried .my best guess is there is something with the MMS format that is preventing the message from being displayed, but I can't isolate the factors that cause it enough to get to the root cause.

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

Was there ever a fix for this? My girl friend is going through the same stuff with her Samsung Galaxy A50. She never had an iPhone so it's not iMessage. All I know is that it worked when she had Metro PCS, and then when she switch to Sprint and then Verizon the problem persisted. We were thinking about switching to AT&T also, but we're afraid it wont help. We were hoping by switching services it would fix her issue, but no luck. Thanks for the help!

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.