For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
miamihoosier's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, January 11th, 2015 2:02 AM

Samsung S4 Boot loop issue - All options and troubleshooting exausted

My Samsung S4 SGH-I337 16GB is stuck in boot loop.  It has all firmware and app updates.  It was working fine in the morning.  I noticed a couple of hours later that I had not received any calls.  Checked and it was off.  I re-started it.  The Samung logo appears and it goes dark.  I removed the SD card and tried it with several batteries.  No luck.  I tried the Safe Mode and recovery.  It still turns off.  I can get the Android guy a few times, but it turns off afterwards.  Best Buy tech said he has seen this issue many times, but only with ATT phones.  Has to be software related.  Best Buy tech said generally, most phones will eventually boot once and he reflashes them and all is good. ATT is offering no help at this point.  After a year, I hate to pay $600 plus for a new phone?  I would have purchased insurance, however isn't that for physical or water damage?  Insurance shouldn't be to protect ATT from it's own software!!!  If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Before I took my phone apart, I decided to try Electronic contact cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI

I sprayed it around the power button, worked the button, sprayed again, worked, sprayed and worked.  Wiped the phone off and let it dry for a few minutes.

It is working perfectly!!!   I just did the hard reset as a precaution.

Best of luck to you if you are following down this road...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

I think we can safely assume the software is compromised.
If you know how to boot in safe mode, then you know how to do a complete reset to factory. Unless you find a better solution, this may be the only option.

You went to the Samsung desk at best buy? They usually can help. They can call in and get more technical assistance. If AT&T software is in the way , you can take it to AT&T corporate store and hope their techs know enough.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for your input.

Unfortunatally, it will not boot to the factory reset menu either.  When I insert the battery, the Samsung Galaxy S4 image appears, the phone turns off.  That's it.  I have to take out the battery and re-insert it to get it to do it again.  I can get to the Android Man image, but then it also turns off.  The closest corporate store for technical assistance is 2 1/2 hours drive.

I'm just frustrated that this is clearly a software issue and ATT will not offer any resolution besides "allowing" me to make payments in their NEXT plan to purchase a new phone.

If I had physically damaged it or lost it, that would be different.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

That isn't a hard boot.
Turn the phone off.
If you hold volume up power and home button at the same time it will boot in safe mode
Use volume to scroll down
Use power to select.

You can look up a video on YouTube on hard boot and safe mode.
Unfortunately I don't think I can post link here.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks.

That "should" boot into safe mode.  Mine shows the Samsung logo, then a very small blue message in the top left (which I can't read).  It goes away and the phone goes dark.  I have tried every option      volume up and volume down.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

if you cant even get the phone to stay on its a hardware bug.  Even if the software was messed up you would still beable to get it to where you can flash it.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Would that be a hardware bug or a hardware failure?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

well I would say a failure but again I am just a customer like you.  There are cheaper top teir phones you can get.  Moto x 2014 is cheaper direct from motorola.  Or find a nexus 5

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Good ideas.  Thanks.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I had the exact same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I did a factory reset, and it didn't work. I then searched YouTube and found someone posted a solution. It worked for many people so I tried it out. And it also worked for me. I got the phone restarted again. Below is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSLZFmhmBlc

I figured that the volume and power buttons were probably stuck. So the phone thought it needed to reboot and ran into circles. I did replaced them in a local phone repair shop. My phone is back in working order now.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.