Samsung Galaxy S3 MTP USB Fix for Windows 7(at least for me)!!
Here's what worked for me after literally trying everything under the sun (compiled steps from various sources):
Steps to Safely Cleanup and Remove old USB Mass Storage Drivers on your PC
- Shut down your computer. Unplug your USB storage devices: USB Disks, flash, cams, CD/DVD, etc.
==> Other USB devices like keyboards, mice and LAN adapters can stay plugged in
- Boot computer back up. Click for how to determine whether you are running 32 or 64 bit Windows
- Download drivecleanup.zip, unzip and save to your desktop. Move the 32 or 64 bit version of DriveCleanup.exe toC:\Windows\System32
- Open a command prompt window as follows:
==> For XP only: You must have Admin privileges. Click Start->Run, enter cmd
==> For Vista and Windows 7: You must open an elevated command prompt window!
- After the command prompt enter: drivecleanup.exe
==> Your command prompt window should be similar to my example below.
==> If, instead, you get an error message like Command not recognized it means you didn't move Drivecleanup.exe to the right directory
- Download the latest USB drivers here:http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SGH-I747MBBATT Click the tab at the bottom that says "Manuals & Downloads" then Software then the link for the Device(Install),USB Driver (Software) (ver.v188.8.131.52)
- Intstall Drivers
- Unplugged or disable your internet connection ***CRITICAL***
- On your S3 go to Settings>About device>Check for updates and install the update (eventhough we next do a hard reset the new firmware is worth it if only for the brightness feature added to the notification drop down).
- Do a hard reset on your Galaxy S3 instructions for that here: http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-hard-reset.html
- Turn on S3 (without USB plugged in) and don't login to your Android account ***CRITICAL***
- Plug in USB and it should install all the drivers at long last ***SIGH***
- Login to your Android account with the USB plugged in and you should be good to go!
I hope this works for you because I went through probably 8hrs of B S trying to figure this out. Believe when I say I tried EVERYTHING and this is only fixed it! Oh one other nice thing is this fixes the annoying COPY/PASTE issue as well. I know it's pain in the neck but it's worth it.
I'm on a Window 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 32-bit machine.