The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

I almost always put my phone to sleep manually to save on battery life.  So that unfortunately will not fix my problem.  I assume you mean to put the phone to sleep using the right upper button on the side?  That is how I put mine to sleep anyway.  Thank you for your reply.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

Hello,

I had the same problem with shutdowns.  Returned the phone and got a new Captivate.  That fixed the random shut down issue.  Sound like you have a faulty phone - return it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  My wife got the same phone and does not seem to have that problem.  I am glad to see your issue was fixed.  I have a little hope now.  🙂

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Just another brand new Captivate owner chiming in to report that my phone is randomly shutting down, as well. This is stock, out of the box... no modifications of ANY sort to the phone. Not even changes to power saving features and whatnot.

It's caused me to wake up late twice for work, as I was planning on relying on the phone as an alarm clock. Instead, I wake up 30 minutes late only to notice that the phone shut itself off overnight for no good reason at all.

This SUCKS.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

14 years ago

Yup, if you're still within 30 days, return the phone.  Seems that a good amount of first order handsets had the random shutdown problem.  I've had my second phone for 3 weeks now with no shutdown issues at all.

Now only if they fess up to the very bad battery issue ....

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

Former iPhone user..had the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation phones.  I was a pretty big fan of the iphone due to the way it seamlessly integrated functions and applications.  My 3G was a pretty cool toy, but a very poor phone.  When it started developing it's own GPS problems, and I couldn't get a reasonable answer from Apple concerning repair, I decided to look at other platforms.  I picked up an HTC Aria...neat little phone, but too small but I really liked the OS and the Sense UI.  Coming from the iphone kinda spoiled me on screen size.  Then I saw the Captivate.  I read all about it's problems, but being a bit of a tech geek, I figured it wasn't anything I couldn't work thru.

My Captivate has worked flawlessly out of the box.  I've had it for about 30 days now with zero problems, which baffles me.  I usually attract the software bugs, but somehow, not this time.

I guess the only real issue I have is with the native email program.  It's pretty flakey and not nearly as well designed and executed as Apple's.  It kept recycling messages...I'd delete them and then they would reappear.  Pretty annoying.  So, I ditched it and replaced it with the K-9 mail app, which works just great and it's free. 

I see alot of complaints that are nothing more than a failure to set up the Captivate correctly.

True, you don't have to set up much on the iphone, right out of the box, but it has no where near the flexibility of the Captivate.  And that's the trade off you make with flexibilty.

BTW, the Google apps work much, much better and faster on the Captivate than the 3G.  Just my 2 cents.

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

14 years ago

@teyshablue wrote:

I guess the only real issue I have is with the native email program.  It's pretty flakey and not nearly as well designed and executed as Apple's.  It kept recycling messages...I'd delete them and then they would reappear.  Pretty annoying.  So, I ditched it and replaced it with the K-9 mail app, which works just great and it's free. 

What settings did you use for your outgoing server?  I have not been able to get the outgoing server setup.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

My outgoing server settings:

smtp.comcast.net

security type "SSL if avail"

Port 465

Require Sign in

Auth type: Plain

Change the port to any SMTP port other than 25.  That's usually blocked or heavily trafficked by spam.

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

14 years ago

I need the hotmail settings.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Hey buddy, just thought I would throw in my .02. I also had the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations of the iPhone. Went to the AT&T store one afternoon and checked out the Captivate. Right out of the box the phone has worked perfect, no issues, although I did ditch the native email app and went with K-9, much better.

The iPhone locks you down in so many ways it is unbelievable. The Captivate takes the iPhone to a whole new level. Although I liked my iPhone the Captivate does so much more and then some it is crazy. Anyway, no problems here and sorry for those who are having issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.