The Samsung Galaxy S24
Duffer10's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2010 1:54 PM

Samsung Captivate Problems

Trying Captivate after being Iphone user. Have done two factory resets. Besides the GPS not locking, slow to lock, and lossing lock, my biggest complaints are: 1) Slow screen scrolling 2) Yahoo mail app freezes or won't load at all. Yes have tried uninstall and reinstall. I wish email app on bottom bar would let you put in multiple email accounts. I have 2 Bellsouth.net and 1 gmail. 3) When holding phone in 1 hand and turning on or off, I have trouble NOT hitting the volume buttons. 4) When phone is in pocket, and slightest pressure is on any external buttons, the phone won't ring. It's the same as if you pressed button on incomming call to mute ringtone. 5) Sometimes if phone is off and want to turn on, holding power button does nothing. Will repeat several times until it finally turns on. 6) Settings, About Phone, System Tutorial, Begin button went to program once. Now nothing. This is even after factory reset. 7) Touch screen calibration seems to be off. Maybe only a few mm. But that enough to hit wrong icon. or url. There are more, but I will keep post short.

This complaint is petty, but it drives me nuts. Time on Splash screen. 24hr ( Military ) or 12 hr. I have set to 12 hr. Instead of saying 1:37pm, the clock will say 01:37pm. Come on Samsung. Get rid of the zero before the 1. Military would be 13:37.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I also experience frequent random shutdowns and I am losing calls during those shutdowns

Scholar

• 

126 Messages

14 years ago

Have any of you tried to install any of the custom ROMs over at XDA?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

14 years ago

@wamccoy wrote:

Yes you can, and the GPS works just fine too. I've used google maps, the navigator portion of google maps, golf gps apps, I have 3 pop emails syncing flawlessly, my battery lasts way longer than the 3gs...I can keep going  on and on and on about how great this phone is. If you have problems with the phone, you will have problems with any phone you get. It amazes me how people can say Samsung didn't test the product, maybe you people just aren't smart enough to use a smart phone.

It is pretty obvious that Samsung did not test this phone as GPS should work much, much better than this. After hacking around on it a lot and changing a lot of things, I now finally have it where it locks in about 2 minutes to a RELATIVELY close proximity.

This really is a big mess-up on Samsung's part no matter how you want to spin it.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

14 years ago

dont blame samsung. my girl is running a stock galaxy rom on her captivate and it works just fine.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

Overall, my Captivate has been reliable, but much slower overall then my iPhone 3GS. I have many of the same exact apps on my iPhone 3GS and Galaxy S, but the apps on the captivate take longer to load up and run, and generally take longer to download data. Even though the hardware is superior on the captivate compared to the iPhone 3GS, the 3GS runs much smoother, apps load quicker, and data download for the apps seems to be alot faster. The overall integration of the iOS3 and iOS4 into the iPhone 3GS seems alot better than Android 2.1 into the captivate. I will keep my captivate, since I'm hearing that when we get the android 2.2 into the captivate, it will run much better. In addition, I'm hoping the custom ROMS that are being developed will help improve performance. As a general phone, however, the captivate is still good. I fixed the GPS issue by changing the settings, and GPS works great now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Seems like all everyone on here is {word filter evasion} about is GPS and start up like come on... Get Real ! Who doesnt own a car with GPS Built in or cant go get a nice $50 GPS system to mount onto ur windshield like a normal person.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I cant send mms. I can receive it just fine. My internetw works as well as my sms. Any help?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

And the iPhone you gotta be {word filter evasion} kidding me. That thing is garbage its like a colorful palm pilot no freedom...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

I have had my Captivate for almost 1 month.  Nothing but problems so far.  I think the phone has potential.  GPS is slow to none. I called Samsung support and they changed the settings w/ little effect. Email takes forever to load either on WiFi or 3G.  And now I have shutdowns on my phone.  Phone has now shutdown 4 nights in a row disabling of course the alarm clock! (not to mention the shutdowns during the day, with full or next to full battery life) I called Samsung and they did a factory reset w/ no effect.  Had to reinstall everything. 

I do not want an Iphone.  And the HTC Aria is small in my opinion.  I probably will opt to exchange phone for another Captivate and hope for the best.  But I am not a happy Captivate owner at all.

I am sure there are Captivate phones that seem to be doing well, but just the fact of the large numbers of complaints and issues should be cause for skepticism. There are problems and Samsung needs to get it fixed.  I have done research on the issues and there are hundreds of complaints.  When you call Samsung and relay this they state they are not aware of any mass issues. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

14 years ago

If you are having problems with random shutdowns, try putting it to sleep and not letting to go to sleep automatically. On mine when it automatically goes to sleep, it will not wake up, but instead powers up. I have set mine to the maximum time to go to sleep and try to remember to put it to sleep manually. So far it has been over a day and it has not failed once.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.